Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Automatic image resizing

jbeall

Total Posts:  33
West Virginia

Right now we have to upload three separate images for new products.  There are two things I immediately note:

1) There are no image dimensions listed for the different image sizes.  The user doesn’t know what size the different images should be.
2) The user shouldn’t even need to know about image dimensions.  You should be able to upload one, large jpeg, and the system should automatically create any thumbnails it needs, and if necessary, resize the main product image size down.

1) is a quick fix.  2) is the right solution, but might take a bit longer.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

An update to this will be coming in the next release smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

jjackson02

Total Posts:  7
Dallas, Tx

Cool, I was thinking this would be a nice feature to have also.

Another thing if the system auto resizes the image it would be nice for the admin to have the ability to set different sizes for thumbnails, medium sized and large size images. Maybe under the system tab so one could set these differently per store.

-JJ

Magento Community
Magento Community

cavamondo

Total Posts:  89

Both methods should be available. When you scale down graphics pr auto size, the bitmap is somewhat messed up. There are certain rules when it comes to scaling graphics if you wish to keep image crisp, that auto sale cant do for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pierre Jeunejean

Total Posts:  2

Hi dears,

I think that the image resizing request is a good one. I proposed this functionalities in my CMS solution,
!!! but
This can be enabled or disabled for the following reasons:

1) A user that has high definition images and therefore heavy in term of size, and has a lot of images to upload which can be the case when you start your online shop, is better to resize images with a free program such as GIMP.
2) The webmaster of e-commerce website will have to learn a minimum about how to use program such as Magento admin or GIMP or guidelines for products redaction optimised for search engine. So my point is that with a program like GIMP, our webmaster can also modify contrast and luminosity of a picture, or crop, and so on, basically control the aspect of his/her product pictures.
3) I just wrote an offer for an e-commerce site based on Magento. And the client has already an e-commerce site (not programmed by us) but does not want to start with this solution because of the esthetics of the website, not only the design but also the bad quality of the products pictures resized by the e-commerce solution.

So here I repeat myself once again, ok for “Automatic image resizing “ but custom, with possibility to disable / enabled it.

Thanks a lot for reading me. Pierre Jeunejean

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community