Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
What’s Another Name for “Shopping Cart?”

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

The only time it makes since is if you are in a niche or have very strong branding behind your term.  The only real example I can think of is if you are selling clothes, you may get away with using some variation of the word “bag” because people tend to think of the bag you get once you buy the clothes (other niches may have a term, but that’s the only one that comes to mind).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

Great Discussion Guys.  This is exactly the kinda feedback I wanted to get. 

I’m sitting on the fence on this one.. I mean we KNOW the “term” cart is the “Safest” way to go.  Usability-wise, People have become familiar with, etc.  At the Same time, with more Rich Internet Apps becoming available and just the overall landscape of Internet commerce becoming more “web 2.0” trendy… (I’m starting to hate the term web 2.0 btw) . I can’t help but want to try something new.  Internet shoppers are a lot smarter these days.

I like the Term “Order” . Add to order, Remove From Order.. but Brandon has a good point it sorta seems committed.

But I also think that modern internet shoppers these days can identify the “Cart” system no matter what its called. Bucket, Pouch, Trashcan, especially if your site design is setup well.  So I don’t think using a diff term will REALLY be the reason you do or don’t get sales.

Good stuff, some very good points too.

So far, I like “Shopping Bag” instead of “Cart”

But I like “Order" more than Shopping Bag.. but it sounds so… well you know.

]How about calling it “My Items” “Add to My Items” “Remove Item” “Checkout My Items”

How’s that sound?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

i dont think that items really gives off the impression that were looking for, it dosent really address the issue of purchase and dosent seem to fit well

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Web Developer

The problem I have with “My Items” or anything “my” related, is that it seems like it’s a long term thing like a wishlist.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

@Brandon
That’s True. Good point.  But when you think about it the Items in their cart ARE long term.. until they remove them or pay for em. -=0 Magento remembers them doesn’t it?

Just concepts though. For now its Still “Add to cart”, but only for lack of a better phrase.

I’m Liking “My Items” though, only because its generic and you could use it with a variety of different items.  For example if a stores sales LOW end items which sound fine “adding to cart” but also high-end items that sound cheesy “Adding to cart” “Add to My Items” might be a generic solution for both.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WisdOMbooks

Total Posts:  144
Kolkata (Calcutta) - INDIA

Since the main point in OpenSource, or similar, is FREEDOM of CHOICE,
I would suggest to leave to the StoreOwners their freedom of selection about orders, bags, carts, etc.
and not to hard-code this text inside images, so to render it un-editable.

I have seen in many other programs that their text is editable,
so it should not be a problem:
you wanna ORDER? change the text in such & such file and make your *ADD to ORDER*…
you wanna BASKET? change the text in such & such file and make your *ADD to BASKET*…
you wanna (SHOPPING) CART, change the text in such & such file and make your *ADD to (SHOPPING) CART*…

I guess it could be as simple as that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Web Developer

WisdOMbooks: Absolutely.  It should be very easy to change this in the finalized Magento—I hope.  The purpose of this thread is just to weigh the pros and cons of making these changes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark Howson

Total Posts:  28
UK (Weather: Cold and Rainy)

’Bag’ as a term is very popular in the UK for fashion/clothes sites, such as http://www.burton.co.uk, http://www.topshop.com and http://www.topman.com. It feels like this should be a user definable term. A store selling groceries by mail might choose to use ‘Box’, whereas a store selling books for college students might opt for ‘Satchel’. I think it varies greatly depending on the nature of the purchase, and what the user can relate to best.

As for the use of ‘My’, it makes the user feel like they already own the item, imo, and hence should be avoided. It’s too personal.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

Total Posts:  36
NW Ohio–USA

Do yourself a favor if you are interested in usability and check out this recent list of Top ten mistakes revisitied.
They too mention calling it a cart is best.
“Check out my junk” that was a good one smile
One might as well pimp there junk right, lol.
t

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

tzCart - 08 September 2007 04:29 PM

Do yourself a favor if you are interested in usability and check out this recent list of Top ten mistakes revisitied.
They too mention calling it a cart is best.
“Check out my junk” that was a good one smile
One might as well pimp there junk right, lol.
t

i agree that cart is the best, although my order is just as effective to me, i dont think it would impact in any other way, imo its:
*Cart / order

*anything else only if it fits your products directly (bags, boxes, etc.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

TDub

Total Posts:  14

Actually, for those who think “shopping cart” cannot be changed, you are flat out wrong. If you have a niche/themed web site it works just fine. Lots of sites do it. So if, say, you sell stationary to lawyers at attorneys-need-stuff.com, you could call your cart “briefcase”. The link/button could say [Add to briefcase].

If your theme displays elements like the briefcase button on the upper right along with it’s contents (and perhaps sub-total) your golden.

More importantly, sometimes you just gotta try stuff and see what happens.. and in some cases, yes, you sounds silly calling it a shopping cart.

Paradigms can be flexible. When’s the last time you thought about South America when you heard the word amazon?

BTW, we sell military apparel on several sites. The Army store says, [Add to Duffle bag] and the Navy store says [Add to Seabag]. Customers love it, but it all depends on how you do it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jrochman

Total Posts:  24

I agree that you should stick with “Cart” for usability sake.  I usually look to some of the big players for guidance in this area as they have more money to spend on usability studies (e.g., Amazon.com, Target.com, eBay.com, Walmart.com).  They all use variations such as “Shopping Cart,” “Cart,” “Add to Cart,” etc.  Even sites that are very Web 2.0ish such as http://www.etsy.com/ use the term “Shopping Cart.” Although that latter site has some neat methods for browsing items (admittedly fun to play with too), I doubt all of them are very usable and produce extra purchases.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

I was going to post a link to the Usability News article ’Top Ten Mistakes of Shopping Cart Design Revisited‘, but saw that someone else has.  It’s a good article and worth a read.  (’cart’ for US, ‘basket’ for UK, etc.)

Another Usability News article worth pointing out is this one:
Global Expectations of Users’ Mental Models for E-Commerce Web Layouts
which includes discussion about the location of the shopping cart link (see Fig.5) - top right corner.

While it’s fine to be creative, no one wants to risk loosing sales as a result.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Web Developer

Interesting article, Ross.  I love usability and I think that eyetracking heatmaps are even more fascinating.  Thanks for the read

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2