Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Poll
Would it be cool if Magento installs successfully the first time
Yes 17
No 1
Total Votes: 18
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Wishlist: Faster Installation (Shared Hosting)

santosh

Total Posts:  13

I would like to know what could be done to make
1. magento installion successful for first time installer.
2. Faster installations.

Does Magento have Users with shared hosting and no ssh support in mind?
It should be possible. But its tedious.

Presently I think I should change my Shared hosting site with no SSH support to another package.

This is what I read at crucial webhosting
If you haven’t heard of Magento, there’s probably a good reason why. The system requirements to even install this are typically not found with most hosting companies, at least, that’s what I’ve found after browsing around their forum and help sections. Magento requires PHP 5, although there is a workaround for those running PHP 4. At the time of writing this article, here is what we run:
Apace 2.2.6
PHP 5.2.4
MySQL 5.0.27

Why Because
most shared hosting providers dont give SSH access

Can you suggest which kind of (reasonably priced) hosting site will help me install magento faster?

I came in search of a Shopping Cart. I found Magento.
Now I find I have to go in search of a host which can install and run Magento.  smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

Total Posts:  179
New Zealand

I reckon that Magento is doing great the forum can help speed you up

It is so fast this is not hard to get going

Forget about FTP ng 9000 files that is just begging for issues

Download the magento-latest-ver Tar.gz download to your desk top

Upload the magento-latest-ver Tar.gz download into your webservers webroot folder via FTP

Down load Putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html just download the first link putty.exe you come accross

Learn how to connect into your server thru it so easy if you already know your log in details

Learn how to navigate to it the root web folder my one is XXXX@greenstone.maori.nz [~]# cd public_html enter

Learn how to Unzip a tar.gz file thru PUTTY SSH program easy to learn XXXX@greenstone.maori.nz [~/public_html]#
tar -xxzvf magento-0.8.16100.tar.gz
enter

there you have it the directory structure will stay intact and the process is all over in 30 second it is Beautiful to watch dos in action

And I think this way as well PEAR is installed properly GIVING ACCESS to the upgrade facility magento is working on also very nice feature

Go to Browser type in url where the store is eg http://www.greenstone.maori.nz

set the Magento config page up answere all questions Easy CHMOD EVERYTHING IT ASKES which is about 4-5 folders EG
[bXXXX@greenstone.maori.nz [~/public_html]#
chmod 777 app/etc do it thru PUTTY

Its all over in no time faster then the below scenario

I waited 12 hours to FTP this magento folder across !@!@##%^&$@!$^ and some files did not go they where skipped due to cancelled connections file up load limits yes you will have a file limit in place turned out mine was set to 2000 files and then it stopped massive headache also some folders where put but with no info in them so just a empty file with a name more headaches and so much time

Good luck Bill007 http://www.euphorish.com web Design and Development

I gaurantee you will have no problems

Magento Community
Magento Community

santosh

That was Good.
Everything went on fine.
UntilI After I downloaded putty.
Putty is unable to access my server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

Time difference so just woke up

Host Name [ OR iP Address] port 22 find out if secure connection thru this port

In saved sessions give the connection details a Name SAVE

OPEN

maybe your server needs have SSH connection enabled you should be able to get into your server Backend AND ALLOW ssh on that account
It is generally a check box when setting up the account

or

get your server Administrators to allow SSH connection

Just thinking Can you get into your web server root Because you could untar from there

you can get this going its just a matter of trial and error But I bet if you enable SSH at the server it will be all go

Kind Regards Bil007

Image Attachments
putty.bmp

Magento Community
Magento Community

santosh

Putty Problem
After entring the username and password, the putty stops after displaying the last login. 
Iam using shared hosting, with SSL support. I think its different from ssh.
If I am able to solve this Putty problem, I think your suggested method will be successfull.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Airforce111

Total Posts:  100

You can only use SSH (It is not the same as SSL) if your web host allows you to use SSH (Shell) access. Normally, only higher end shared hosting allow SSH. The lower end shared hosting will not give you SSH ability. For example, the 1&1;Shared Hosting only provides SSH for business and developer packages. Outside of shared hosting, such as VPS or root servers, SSH is almost standard.

SSL (Secure Socket Layer - If I remember correctly) is used to encrypt the data communications between your client browser and server. It has nothing to do with SSH.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

New Zealand

Remember to that you can still up load the tar.gz file log in to you server back end find the public folder and unzip from there its the same result just no as snazzy as ssh Ipersonally like to have lots of control of my server its like the keys to you car very important Pay for good hosting and you dont get this pain and suffering on installation

Magento Community
Magento Community

santosh

You are Right Bill.
The main point is
“The minimum requirement for installing Magento should be one with SSH so that the installation is Hassle free. But there is a possiblity of uploading the full program which is quite risky because there is no guarantee that all the files will be loaded. Even if it loads correctly, the access rights doesnt permit the the program to run. Then the user has to change the permissions for all the prescribed files.”

Magento Community
Magento Community

santosh

I made a mistake of uploading the entire mageno download (uncompressed) program to my server. I took me more than 18 hours (excluding the time of unsuccessful uploads).

I was happy when the upload was complete. But my happiness was shortlived becuase I found out the most of the files’ access right made the install tediuos. I read some where that all the those files access right have to be changed to 777(Actually its a risky thing for a shopping cart to give access to the world). I thought just in order to try to install magento, I would do it. But its not as easy as I said. CHMOD ing each and every file is nearly impossible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

santosh

Finally I got a lead at crucial host which talks about shared hosting installation.

Currently Iam paying $2/month.[It would have been cool if I could install magento here; I had install oscommerce here earlier]
A hosting account that Magento can be easily run will cost $25/month at crucialwebhost. I got to look for something more reasonable.
Can you sugget any good Magento compatable host?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community