Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Product Dimensions

imwy2cool

Total Posts:  164

I’m also interested in donating. Send me a private message with what we need to make this happen.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

twistedthrottle

Total Posts:  1

I’d be interested in donating for a UPS dimensional weight shipping module as well. Please contact me at eriks (at) twistedthrottle (dot) com.

Thanks,
-E

Magento Community
Magento Community

imwy2cool

Total Posts:  164

Again, I’m willing to donate to make this happen. grin Please contact me via PM.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Hi,

I have released a commercial extension in the dimensional weight space. It supports the following:

- UPS
- Fedex via SOAP
- Ability to ship items according to dimensional weight and actual weight
- Ability to ship items as separate or multiple separate packages
- Ability to have a mixed cart of separate, dimensional and merged packages

Please contact me at sales@webshopapps.com if you want more detailed information or to discuss your shipping requirements.

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

miked2004

Total Posts:  214
Atlanta, Georgia

Hey corradomatt,
I was wondering what version you had this running on. I need something for 1.1.8.

Also I would not mind giving you a had in packaging the extension.

Magento Community
Magento Community

geek9394

Total Posts:  8

Hi guys,

FYI, out of my own personal frustration with inaccurate postage estimation caused by (dimensional) weight and losing $, I have created the e-Commerce Shipping Calculator available at http://www.solvingmaze.com

The calculator helps you:

1) Figure out how many boxes are needed to package a customer order based on dimension and weight of your products and packaging containers.  Each item can also have multiple packaging dimensions, e.g. clothing that can be folded and packed in more than one way.  This-side-up handling is also supported for liquid merchandise such as wine bottles.

2) Streamline packaging by advising you on which set of items should be packaged into which box instead of you guessing or by trial and error.  This should help you speed up order fulfillment during the busiest holiday season.

You can try the two online interactive demos to get a feel for it (with a browser that supports HTML5).  There is also an API available for integrating with your own site or add it to your custom shipping module with whatever programming language of your choice.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to drop me a line over at SolvingMaze if you have any questions.

Br,
Davin

Magento Community
Magento Community

geek9394

If anyone is interested, here’s a write-up on how to estimate UPS shipping more accurately using both dimension and weight.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lyt108

Total Posts:  11

OK guys I MUST chime in on this.....  because I am mortified that magento does not do this......

example #1:

We ship domestically with FEDEX and internationally with USPS.  PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE POST FIRST BEFORE COMMENTING

Our most popular product w/box weighs 9 lbs.  however its dimensions are 34 x 18 x 5....which makes it dimensional weight like about 22lbs. 

Now, I enter the actual weights of our products and they ship fine in the USA using fedex ground---UNTIL someone orders overnight or 2day shipping then there is a huge difference in the price and magento undercharges...... 

then I say in my brilliance...."hey let me put in the dimensional weights of all my products”

I do this.... and it works great in the USA-- but then to ship overseas it is double, and no one would EVER purchase from us internationally with such high shipping prices. 

this to me is absolute madness not to somehow calculate the weights WITH the box size and intelligently pick between the two. 

maybe there is a way but why is it not easy to do?  wouldn’t this be the #1 PRIORITY of a shopping cart?  I can tell the magento programmers have not shipped internationally very much. 

If I am wrong about this please then help a friend out......  and lead me to enlightenment.

Daniel

Magento Community
Magento Community

pavihormigon

Total Posts:  1

Thank you guys for sharing this information with us . Hope we`ll be updated soon with some more info about this topic.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lyt108

Total Posts:  11

is there a way to do this inside magento?  to get the correct weight for different carriers....  the difference between (Actual) 9 lbs and (dimensional) 22 lbs using priority mail from USA to australia is ASTRONOMICAL....and we send about 4-5 items per month there and about 40-50 packages overseas per month

so the main issue is this....  USPS does not care about dimensional weights and charges based on actual weight....but fedex (especially 3day, 2day, overnight) really jacks up the price according to dimensional weight.  We are talking over 10-15 bucks it undercharges when someone selects them.... 

so is there a way?

bump....

Magento Community
Magento Community

geek9394

FYI, a new and improved version of the Dimension Based UPS module is available at http://solvingmaze.blogspot.com/2011/05/dimension-and-weight-based-ups-shipping.html

The module uses dimension and weight of products and packaging containers to determine shipping.  It is designed to help reduce lost revenues from undercharged shipping and lost sales from cart abandonment caused by overestimated shipping.

The module is compatible with Magento CE 1.4.x and 1.5.x. with support for:

• UPS Express Flat Rate Envelopes & Boxes
• UPS Worldwide 10 & 25kg Boxes
• Custom packaging containers
• Shipment requiring multiple packages (max 3)
• Alternative product dimension for items with multiple packable dimensions
• This-side-up packaging for liquid or fragile items

The module only works with standard UPS rates for USA and Puerto Rico.  It doesn’t work with negotiated rates.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redstage

Total Posts:  173
Hoboken, NJ

Hey there!

It\’s pretty well known that Magento has never supported dimensional weights for the major carriers out of the box so we sat down with the Fedex, UPS and USPS documentation and wired in their dimensional weight algorithms to the native integrations. 

I hope these help you out!

http://store.redstage.com/magento-extensions/shipping/dimensional-weight-extensions.html

All the best,

Anthony
http://store.redstage.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

rebeccama

Total Posts:  110

You can try Box Calculator Magento Extension as it allows for packaging calculations. you can read more here at
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/box-calculator-2674.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

riannone

Total Posts:  3

Bump.  It\’s now almost 2014, any progress made on this Magento? I checked out the redstage plugins but it says that they are no longer available.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2