Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Product Dimensions

ChrisWebPub

Total Posts:  7

For many stores it is vitally important for you to support product dimensions for shipping and packaging calculations.

There are a few ways you can achieve this.

1. Have a packaging control where you enter the dimensions & weight limits of the boxes you use, then also enter the weight and dimensions of the products you carry. The system them decides how to pack the boxes.

or…

2. Indicate a product is “ready-to-ship” always in specific dimensions. This is for larger products or products you never package with anything else because they are prepackaged or a weird size.

Only a couple of my sites could I use magento commerce with (with you only having raw weight available for shipping calculations) since the others regularly run into dimension weight issues with UPS.  For instance a larger box might only weigh 10 pounds, but the dimensional weight on it with UPS if it were shipped via AIR could be 50 or 60 pounds. That is a huge difference and it makes dimensional weight support mandatory.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

ChrisWebPub - We too have clients that ran in to the same issue you describe, and so we are aware of the dimensional weight issue. As such we have plans to improve on how the product weight is handled in Magento. 
As far as for your first point, about the system deciding on how the shipment is going to be packed, I am not 100% sure Magento needs to support this as we are only giving estimates for the shipping at the time the order is placed, and not actual rates that are determined at the time of fulfillment. From our experience our clients usually add some handling charges/fees to the shipping estimates to cover any discrepancies between the estimated shipping and actual shipping cost. 

Thanks

Yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

just as a thought - is there an easy way to simply add the price of shipping to the product??

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

I have a client as well that sells items in large cases, that ship on their own. In addition to dimensioning, it’s important to have an option that would allow an item to always ship on it’s own, even when it’s purchase with other items that will ship together. Also, how can Magento determine how many packages to ship? I’m guessing after x lbs.

I also see a necessary buffer, because they are just estimates after all. So it’s vital to have the ability to add $ or % to the estimate that UPS (for instance) may give you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Ron - I am sorry for not being clear. I did not mean that the order amount would be adjusted at the time of fulfillment, but that the estimated amount that was charged should be close to the real amount and that if needed the price needs to include some handling fee so that the store owner does not need to eat any of the shipping costs.

I hope it makes it a bit clearer.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChrisWebPub

Total Posts:  7

Do you not do business internationally then? 

A box can cost $10 to ship UPS ground, $150 to ship UPS Air, $400 to ship UPS Global Express to Australia from the US.

So, if the plan is just to build shipping costs into the product price which figure do you use? For a handling fee, what do you base it on?

Do you just say “No international, no air shipping” and lose all those potential customers who either are international or need it shipped quickly?

Shipping will also change drastically based on zip code. I can ship to Indiana a box for $10, to Los Angeles that same box will cost nearly $30.

Not supporting dimensional weight is just amateurish. Giving the excuse that you should go back and manually edit the order to fit the shipping is amateurish. Software is supposed to automate manual tasks like that, and only the smallest hobby-like ecommerce operations could afford to micromanage orders like that.

There is an OScommerce contribution called UPS XML with Dimensional Weight Support (or something along those lines) it really is rather simple. UPS’s (and other shippers I’m sure) API will accept dimensional data, so all you have to do to support it within the cart is to add a few fields to the product management screen.  Then you’re getting accurate shipping quotes for the full range of UPS shipping options from ground to Next Day Air all based on shipping zip code, delivery zip code (or country), product weight, length, width, and height.

Magento Community
Magento Community

prompterpeople

Total Posts:  4

YoavKutner - 08 September 2007 01:20 PM

ChrisWebPub - We too have clients that ran in to the same issue you describe, and so we are aware of the dimensional weight issue. As such we have plans to improve on how the product weight is handled in Magento. 
As far as for your first point, about the system deciding on how the shipment is going to be packed, I am not 100% sure Magento needs to support this as we are only giving estimates for the shipping at the time the order is placed, and not actual rates that are determined at the time of fulfillment. From our experience our clients usually add some handling charges/fees to the shipping estimates to cover any discrepancies between the estimated shipping and actual shipping cost. 

Thanks

Yoav

I don’t think even the most aggressive S&H;padding could compensate for the large differences dimensional weight can cause in shipping cost. If I had a $10 shipping, and padded it 100%, a dimensional weight discrepency could easily bear more than the $10 differential. This post was 2007, 2 years back - are we any closer to dimensional weight with UPS?

I agree as to your second point however. I do not think Magento needs to make any assumptions as to how somethign is packed - there is no way we could guess at cases where boxes get combined, so we should just calculate dimensional weight per item, and any box consolidation then turns to profit.

Cian

Magento Community
Magento Community

draiocht

Total Posts:  23

anyone working on supporting proper dim weight shipping?

Magento Community
Magento Community

davedavedave

Total Posts:  238

Wanted to bump this up too...especially because Varien had chimed in to say it was something they were working on...but as mentioned, those pasts were back in 2007.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bkscott

Total Posts:  137
Sacramento

BUMP!

I really dont want to have to hack this program again :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

Auciker

Total Posts:  21

ChrisWebPub - 20 September 2007 03:27 AM

Do you not do business internationally then? 

A box can cost $10 to ship UPS ground, $150 to ship UPS Air, $400 to ship UPS Global Express to Australia from the US.

So, if the plan is just to build shipping costs into the product price which figure do you use? For a handling fee, what do you base it on?

Do you just say “No international, no air shipping” and lose all those potential customers who either are international or need it shipped quickly?

Shipping will also change drastically based on zip code. I can ship to Indiana a box for $10, to Los Angeles that same box will cost nearly $30.

Not supporting dimensional weight is just amateurish. Giving the excuse that you should go back and manually edit the order to fit the shipping is amateurish. Software is supposed to automate manual tasks like that, and only the smallest hobby-like ecommerce operations could afford to micromanage orders like that.

There is an OScommerce contribution called UPS XML with Dimensional Weight Support (or something along those lines) it really is rather simple. UPS’s (and other shippers I’m sure) API will accept dimensional data, so all you have to do to support it within the cart is to add a few fields to the product management screen.  Then you’re getting accurate shipping quotes for the full range of UPS shipping options from ground to Next Day Air all based on shipping zip code, delivery zip code (or country), product weight, length, width, and height.

+1

This post happened 2 years ago, that’s plenty of time to handle this issue. Why is it still coming up?

When I recommended magento to my clients, I simply assumed to that dimensions would be included, because that’s such a necessary and basic function that every shopping cart handles ... except magento.  Magento can offer multiple websites, stores, views, sales reports, but not something as completely basic and necessary as dimensions.  I’m absolutely floored.  Now I have to go look for an extension that may handle dimensions and hope it works out, or I have to manually manage dimensions across thousands of products.  This is going to eat a ton of time that I can’t charge for.  >:-(

Magento Community
Magento Community

LiquidR1

Total Posts:  8

I can’t believe that more than 2 years later, this issue has been completely ignored by Varien.  I can’t think of anything besides a payment module that would be more critical than dim weight calculations. If FedEx/UPS support dim weight, why are these 3 simple fields “LxWxH” missing in Magento? This is unacceptable.

Anyway, for those of you looking for an amatuerish quick fix to the problem, what we did was create a second attribute called “Shipping Weight” which is visible on the front end, and turned attribute “Weight” visible only in admin. For oversized items, we calculated dim weight. For example, a box weighing 10lbs but measuring 20x20x20 would have a FedEx dim weight of approx 40lbs. We enter 40 in the “Weight” attribute and show 10lbs on the visible “Shipping Weight” attribute. It’s not perfect, but it’ll have to do for now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

modulesformagento

Total Posts:  19
Los Angeles, CA

We are currently in process with this but it is fairly complicated, I will definitely post more information as we move along.  And please let me know if you have any technical questions or suggestions and I will pass it along to our development team.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Add the attributes yourself, it’s easy. You can then use those values in any subsequent calculations you need to make.

Any worthwhile Magento developer can add this in their workflow in a day or so.

Magento Community
Magento Community

corradomatt

Total Posts:  161
San Diego, CA

I had an extension built for this and it’s currently working properly on my live site. I would package it and share with the community but I couldn’t get the magento extension package thing to work.

We spent around $600 for this to be created for our website. Anyone interest in donating to help me package it up for release to the community?

Magento Community
Magento Community

seq0

Total Posts:  1

Hi Matt.
I’m working on some webshop right now and I really need extension like that. And I can DONATE. Is there any other way to get this working on my site than via magento extension manager? Maybe there is an option to install this manually? Maybe this will be much faster. I have no time and I need to finish my site quickly.
Sorry for my english.
You can contact me at dariusz.fraczyk(at)gmail.com
Best
Daro

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2