Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Methods To Speed Up Magento - A Guide To Making Magento Faster

Boatmagic

Total Posts:  91

This is one of the most comprehensive threads I\’ve read since starting with Magento.

I haven\’t been involved with computer server stuff since back when WindowsNT emerged.. So I could use some recommendations..

I was using Volusion software, but for the $160/month for unlimited product hosting (have 10,000 + product store) and no real support for backend issues like pulling feeds from my distributors stock status, etc., I gave it up when I found Magento..

Where I need some advice is on choosing a new server.

I\’m currently on GoDaddy shared Linux hosting platform, 2.1 Config.

Would this be enough juice to run Magento proficently. And which CP would I really need since I\’m not familiar with the server software?

RAM:2 GB, Storage:30 GB, Bandwidth:1,000 GB,
Other control panels options include;
Simple Control Panel Unlimited: $0.00/mo
Parallels Plesk Panel 30 Domains: $4.99/mo
Parallels Plesk Panel 100 Domains: $6.99/mo
Parallels Plesk Panel Unlimited: $9.99/mo
Parallels Small Business Panel: $9.99/mo
cPanel Unlimited: $9.99/mo

I appreciate any help here

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

colinmollenhour

Total Posts:  50

You should probably consider a hosted Magento solution so that you don’t have to deal with things like backups, email servers, etc.. and have access to tech support with Magento experience. I can’t recommend one myself though. If you want a full DIY solution I recommend Linode. A 2Gb or 4Gb VPS running 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is plenty powerful for most stores, especially if properly configured with nginx for static content, properly tuned MySQL, APC/memcached, etc.. However, this really isn’t for the faint of heart so if your experience is limited to WindowsNT days then you will either want to hire someone or plan on spending a lot of time getting setup and learning. IMO the control panels are nice for simple software packages, but to get a fast Magento installation you just need to manually configure it and the CPs just get in the way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

musicianjrbc

Total Posts:  2

Not sure how valuable this will be for others…

I was trying my host to install APC. They did, but after APC was installed, my site was not loading properly; it would load only some parts of a page but not completely. And every other time the site would produce 500 Server Error. So, I talked to my hosting support team (BlueHost.com, by the way) and it seemed as now one would care until I gave up and asked them to delete the whole APC thingy completely. I was super lucky that my message got to one smart guy at BlueHost support named Matt. And this is what Matt wrote to me

Most of tech supports won’t know that when you use APC, you cannot run Zend Optimizer in your site.

Also, To have APC work, you have to use FastCGI.  Therefore, I have made two modifications to your account:

1) I have put your account on PHP5 (FastCGI)
All files with the extension .php will be handled by PHP5 FastCGI processes.

2) in your php.ini file, i have removed the zend optimizer line:
zend_extension=/usr/lib64/php/zend/ZendOptimizer-5.2.so

This allows your website to load using the APC module without seg-faulting and throwing a 500 error.

Your website is working at this time, can you please check your website?

Thank you,
Matt
Level II Tech Support Engineer

That fixed the all the trouble I had after installing APC. Today’s morning could not be better! My site is running super fast now!

Thanks Stuart, thanks to everyone who contributed to this forum, and thank you Matt from BlueHost.com.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nautica

Total Posts:  140

musicianjrbc - 04 October 2010 08:23 AM

Not sure how valuable this will be for others…

I was trying my host to install APC. They did, but after APC was installed, my site was not loading properly; it would load only some parts of a page but not completely. And every other time the site would produce 500 Server Error. So, I talked to my hosting support team (BlueHost.com, by the way) and it seemed as now one would care until I gave up and asked them to delete the whole APC thingy completely. I was super lucky that my message got to one smart guy at BlueHost support named Matt. And this is what Matt wrote to me

Most of tech supports won’t know that when you use APC, you cannot run Zend Optimizer in your site.

I already mentioned APC problems in this post on this thread: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewreply/179652/

Magento Community
Magento Community

OpenCommerce

Total Posts:  84
Cincinnati, OH

There are some great tips on this thread for speeding up magento. Many of them apply to any website (like frontend css/js compression with gzip, etc...). Unfortunately, recommendations for magento can be all over the place sometimes. I guess that\’s what you get with a community.

At TinyBrick, we\’ve been working on enterprise-level magento implementations for a few years now, and I\’d say the biggest slowdown for folks is a basic understanding of the framework and what needs to load when. Which is one of the reasons we developed Lightspeed.

Lightspeed - A whole-page caching utility on par (and better in some ways) with the whole-page caching that comes stock in Magento Enterprise Edition.

While we definitely recommend all the front-end compression that this thread emphasizes, we feel that magento is inherently too big/heavy to run without caching. (That\’s why threads like this have done so well)

And when it comes to magento caching, LIghtspeed is the best. (Our customers agree)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Borduhh

Total Posts:  40
Rochester, NY

Stuarts - 20 March 2009 08:09 AM

8/ From thread above:

12/ Magento Caching.

Goto Magento Admin -> System -> Cache Management
- Tick the following items:
-- Configuration
-- Layouts
-- Block HTML output
-- Translations

-Untick the following items: (if ticked they seem to have a negative impact atm)
-- Collections Data
-- EAV types and attributes
-- Web Services Configuration

Found Here - http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/24595

Further Explanation Here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/12055/

I tried this out and the juries out from my end whether it made much difference. Maybe worth a try though to test out on your own install.

I am running Magento 1.4.1 and was just wondering if this still applies or is simply a waste of time?

Best Regards,
Nick

Magento Community
Magento Community

roghow

Total Posts:  24

Hi Guys,

Just to add to this....

By far and away the fasted thing for speeding up my site that I’ve come across so far is by using block caching. I got the details from this post-> http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/41112/

I found it the most beneficial for my ‘view all’ page which was slow as a dog due to the number of products being generated by the list.php block. you simply add this code to your list.php and it caches the block everytime a product is saved. The first time the page loads takes ages but after that it’s saved in the magento cache so it’s lightning quick. I brough my speeds down from over 10secs to load the page to one and a bit secs!

Best to use the value I’ve put in the cache lifetime cus aparently the magento default (if you used ‘false’ as the value) is a 7200 secs! (source: http://inchoo.net/ecommerce/magento/magento-block-caching/

You should be abe to use this on most blocks I think - not sure cus I haven’t tried it!

Try it…

protected function _construct()

{
        $this
->addData(array(            'cache_lifetime'    => 9999999999,
        ));

}

public function getCacheTags()

{

return array(Mage_Catalog_Model_Product::CACHE_TAG);

}

public function getCacheKey()

{

return $this->getRequest()->getRequestUri();

}

Magento Community
Magento Community

michamum

Total Posts:  124

Borduhh - 09 January 2011 10:08 PM

Stuarts - 20 March 2009 08:09 AM
8/ From thread above:

12/ Magento Caching.

Goto Magento Admin -> System -> Cache Management
- Tick the following items:
-- Configuration
-- Layouts
-- Block HTML output
-- Translations

-Untick the following items: (if ticked they seem to have a negative impact atm)
-- Collections Data
-- EAV types and attributes
-- Web Services Configuration

Found Here - http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/24595

Further Explanation Here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/12055/

I tried this out and the juries out from my end whether it made much difference. Maybe worth a try though to test out on your own install.

I am running Magento 1.4.1 and was just wondering if this still applies or is simply a waste of time?

Best Regards,
Nick

I’d be interested to know if this relates to 1.4.1.1 as well.  Anyone?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Escaping the misery of mod_php5 for better performance with FastCGI and APC Cache. Instructions on running PHP with FastCGI, creating your wrapper and setting up your APC cache.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bwalsh

Total Posts:  2

Since a couple of updates were made on our site we have begun to experience extremely slow load times.

We have Hostgators Level 9 VPS and believe we have sufficient power to run our site.

We’ve installed Fooman, and a few of the other easy ones mentioned in Stuart’s amazing write up, but am not proficient enough to try anything else.

If any GURUs can help answer why our site is slow I am open to any suggestions.

http://www.deadstockshoes.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

joshgeake

Total Posts:  11

Here is a more specific (Magento 1.5.1 on CentOS 5.6 x64) guide that worked very well indeed for me

http://www.geakeit.co.uk/2011/06/16/getting-magento-1-5-1-pages-loading-faster-on-centos-5/

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

And once you have your 9500+ product website up and running and optimized so it serves 1-2 second html loads on a dedicated 4 core server with 6GB ram, do yourself a favor and install Tiny Brick’s Light Speed Page Caching. Your website won’t fall flat on its face when an aggressive web spider like Baidu hits it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kornolio

Total Posts:  13

great post, realy helped me to speed up my magento pages.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

After you’ve got a website up and running with Lightspeed page caching, such that it will keep up and running while simultaneously serving your customers, Google, Bing and Yahoo; then Baidu and Yandex will pay a visit and it once again falls flat on its face.

Next step, take a load off, quit serving images to everyone who comes to the site. Set up a CDN (Content Distribution Network) through a company like SoftLayer or Amazon Web Services. Amazon CloudFront is pretty easy to set up, list your server as the source and their servers do the rest. It’s pretty affordable as well. Drop your website traffic by a third or more so your server can serve out pages and manage accounts.

After the fact, I came across this article by Ashley Schroeder - Magento and Amazon’s CloudFront CDN – The Easy Way

Magento Community
Magento Community

brimllc

Total Posts:  11
Cincinnati, OH

There’s a lot of good suggestion here on improving Magento’s performance.  Once you run the gambit on tuning your web server, MySQL, PHP and optimizing your Magento design and skin the next big payoff is a Full Page Cache

There are a handful of them out there, but we just released a new version of ours that is really easy to install and get running.  Page load times will decrease to sub 150ms on a properly configured server.  In the latest version we added support for block updates on cached pages so things like recently viewed products, compare products, and the shopping cart work on cached pages.  It’s relatively easy to extend as well as layout files control cached pages and block updates.  Let us know what you think: http://ecommerce.brimllc.com/performance/full-page-cache-magento.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community