Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Show the top level categories right on the homepage? 

jbeall

Total Posts:  33
West Virginia

Hi All,

I imagine that this question has to be have been asked already, but I didn’t see it, so I’ll ask here:

I just installed Magento, create a category, added a product, and then went to the homepage to see how my product would show.  Seems like a basic thing to test out when experimenting with a new store, right?

But I didn’t see anything to indicate either my new categories or the new product I added.

So, what am I missing?

Thanks!

-Josh

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tman_f

Total Posts:  85

jbeall

Most likely the problem is that either the category hasnt been set to active yet, or it was created under all stores and is not associated with ‘English’ store or whatever your default store is. That should do the trick. O by the way this can be configured in the admin section under manage categories.

Good luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community

medic

Total Posts:  173
Sydney

The top level categories do not show on the homepage as layered navigation.

I would like it to though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

choral

Total Posts:  3

What i have got now is only categories tab added at homepage

products are viewable at categories and can be searched. home page shows nothing but only has category tabs added....
this mean that categories are active, products are active and linked to the category.

Do i miss anything?

I have followed most instructions available at wiki and forum.. but yet get this problem fixed..

1. System > Manage Store : Ensure Default Store View and Root Category
2. Catalog > Manage Category :
If Root category is created, repeat step 1. Then, create 2nd level Categories
Fill out name, and Enable the “is active”

3. Catalog > Manage Products :
click on “add products tab”,
create simple products
Fill out require field.
Make sure that “visibility” is “catalog and search” and status is active.
Inventory is added and stock availability is “in stock”
Store View is selected
Both Root level and relevant 2nd level category are selected.

Appreciate if someone can give me a hand on this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

choral

Total Posts:  3

Update: Have tried the demo’s admin.. have found that i have missed nothing but shall move on to design. of the CMS page..

Magento Community
Magento Community

jbeall

Total Posts:  33
West Virginia

It seems that the only things that display on the homepage are items that are children of the “root catalog” category, which is different than the “root” category, which is the default parent category when creating a new category.

I was able to drag and drop one of my categories into the “Root Catalog” category, and now it shows up on the homepage.  However, it won’t let me move other categories into the “Root Category” folder.  I attached an image so you can see where I’m trying to do the drag and drop.  As you can see, Audio/Video is a subcategory of Root Catalog.  If I try and drag that folder, I get custom drag icons indicating where I can or can’t drop the folder.  With the other categories, though, I get the Windows XP system “can’t drag” icon (the circle with a line through it).

Suggestions?

Image Attachments
categories.png

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community