Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
Shopping Cart Rules to get a product free on purchase of another product

TheDolphinNetwork

Total Posts:  2

I had the same problem. Buy A, get B for free
I solved it by creating a bundled product. with 2 options added: A for the normal price, B for zero.
Use fixed price of 0 for the bundled price and specify the prices in the bundled products.

Disadvantage is you’ll have to manage the product price separately from the single product, since it’s entered manually again.

Example: http://www.vooropreis.nl/default/op-de-camping/aanbiedingen/weekaanbieding-8-juni.html
Hope this helps
Marco.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Paulus
Guru

Total Posts:  335

It seems to me that adding a feature in the rules - as mentioned - where you buy X and added Y for free automagically is easier to add as a feature than some of the features that are there now.

2c

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cheung

Total Posts:  30
Seattle, WA

I was going to have a developer work on this for me:

Using the shopping cart rules… adding a SKU to the coupon code where you can list the product you want to give away. Basically add the product and display nowhere. When the coupon is entered after adding a certain product, you get that other product. The developer was working on a quote when he stumbled upon this new module in alpha stage: http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1646/j2t--automatic-product-adds-in-cart

I was very grateful to the developer for pointing me towards this but it does need some work. Issues I noticed include:

1. Free product can be added regardless of SKU added to cart which means they can buy any product and use the coupon code even if the code is not valid for that SKU.
2. Free product remains in cart even when you remove the product it came free with.

The person did not make this extension very noticeable as it does not come up when you are searching for buy 1 get 1 free… at least not yet. It will be great once this extension is ready for beta or stable. Anyways.... thought I would share.

Magento Community
Magento Community

su.scicom

Total Posts:  4

_ADS_ - 02 June 2009 10:21 AM

I propose a different problem for all you brainiaks… out there.

I need to setup a rule like this:

2+1 rule:
Buy two get one free (the product with the lowest price in cart is free).

How about that !

The rule needs to be more general to be applied to more than 3 products.

1. Get the number of products in basket (total products).
2. Calculate the number of free products (total products / 3).
3. Set the price for the free products to 0 - or subtract the value of free products from total price
4. Calculate total price.

Anybody with a solution?

Does anyone have an answer to this. We are trying to provide online promotions to customers.
Thanks~
Su

Magento Community
Magento Community

vernlib

Total Posts:  15

Just to further complicate things....

I’d like to have a function where if you add two products of a certain category to your cart, the one of equal or lesser value is 20% off. Buy one furniture item, get the second (of equal or lesser value) 20% off.  Needs to work with 2 items, 4 items, 6 items, etc.

I’d be willing to pay a developer who can implement this quickly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

moomoo

Total Posts:  192

_ADS_ - 02 June 2009 10:21 AM

I need to setup a rule like this:

2+1 rule:
Buy two get one free (the product with the lowest price in cart is free).

How about that !

The rule needs to be more general to be applied to more than 3 products.

1. Get the number of products in basket (total products).
2. Calculate the number of free products (total products / 3).
3. Set the price for the free products to 0 - or subtract the value of free products from total price
4. Calculate total price.

I’m also after this, but with an extra thing - the products that are in the group of 3 must be in the same category.

Also it would be nice if the discount was shown in the shopping cart as a specific discount, and not just a reduction in price.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

Has anyone tried accomplishing this using a Bundled product rather than price rules?

If that does not work, then a developer can utilize magento’s model-event system.

When a user adds an item to cart, the developer can test if its a certain product, and if it meets the requirements, can add another product to the cart.

This of course might be messed up if you change a products SKU or other means of identifying the product, so it’s not a great solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

I have already built this in to my extension

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/89827/

It is running here:

http://www.wparfum.nl/

and here

http://www.cudapro.com/networking/load-balancers.html

and here

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/

Magento Community
Magento Community

duncan352

Total Posts:  1

I\’m biased so take this for what it\’s worth, but my company recently released a product called promobot, that accomplishes the automated add-to-cart by adding some new actions in the cart rules for you. Check it out: http://store.delorumcommerce.com/buy-x-get-y-free.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

mitbarnwal

Total Posts:  6
New Delhi

I have done this problem if a customer buy two product It will get third product free

Magento Community
Magento Community

mitbarnwal

Total Posts:  6
New Delhi

hello friend i have same problem any ideas please share us

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Minneapolis MN

Buy two get the third free is in the works. Please check Magento connect

Cartex Auto Add to Cart on Magento Connect

Magento Community
Magento Community

matty235

Total Posts:  4

I just bought the CartEX module, and (just like every other magento module I’ve bought —EXCEPT FOR ALAN STORM’s --) it didn’t work out of the box. 

So I’m going to make my own module to to this. 

First, I will create an observer for the “checkout_cart_product_add_after” event hook.

I’ll keep you posted!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Minneapolis MN

Matt,

Could you please tell me what did not work “Out of the box”

I did a fresh install of Magento, then the Cartex Module and I was able to make it work first tyr

http://cartex.wagento.com/electronics/cell-phones/htc-touch-diamond.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

remyapvava - 18 March 2009 09:15 PM

I want to do a feature by which one can purchase a product of a particular category and Along with this product another product of another category should be obtained free. Is it possible to do this with magento?

Yes, it possible to do with the Special Promotions Magento extension. You can offer either the cheapest or most expensive for free or with discount, say 50%.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3