Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Extension Licensing

SlammedDime

Total Posts:  1

I have read many topics, blog’s, FAQ’s, etc, and I still have a question in my head as to how I must license my extension.  Here are the details of it:

I would not be distributing ANY Magento files or folders.
All of my code/files are contained in /local/[MY_EXTENSION_NAME] except for the config file that tells Magento about my extension, which is in the proper directory.
I am overriding Magento classes, but only the functions I am overriding are contained in the class/php files.
All of the functions have been rewritten to support the purpose of my extension
The overridden functions DO contain calls to Magento functions classes, but as I said above, the functions have been rewritten

Based on the above, must I distribute the extension under the OSL, or can I license it how I choose?

I ask because Joomla, for example, says that any file or code that calls their functions or uses any of their variables to work must also be released under GPL because it is a derivative work.  Does Magento / OSL see it this way as well?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

h3rB

Total Posts:  15

You copied it, so no. But if you hand wrote all of the code what overrides. Stuck it on Magento through extensions then yeah.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Total Posts:  415

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I was looking at this thread hoping to find some clarity in the matter, but your answers confuse me. Might be my limited grasp of the English language. Anyways I really need some help here.

I’ve created an extensions for a existing module, and I have made some smaller adjustments to a couple of core files. If I understand your responses correctly I can still sell this extensions as a commercial extension?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rainman127

Total Posts:  218

Hi,

write your own code and you can do whatever you like.
If OSL code is included in your module code you must use OSL license.

I hope that makes sense.

thanks

cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Yeah, I was kinda fearing that hmmm. Although that is very confusing. I see several commercial extensions which _must_ alter at least some core files. Unless they actually re-wrote the source code, which just seems painfully pointless. It seems weird that Varien wouldn’t allow you to sell altered source code, at least to some extent. I mean, I could simple put out two packages, one commercial containing most of my work (which didn’t require changes in any core files) and one community which would be containing the 2 core files I had to change. That way I would stay on the right side of the law, but it seems so pointless it makes me wanna harm myself blank stare. Not to mention that people would be annoyed having to install two packages.

Thanks for your answer though, I will have to contact Varien to find out if it would be ok in my particular situation I suppose.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rainman127

Hi
what your talking about is dual licensing.
Same thing Magento is doing with Enterprise edition & Community edition.
That if perfectly fine..

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Okay, so what you are saying is that it would be fine to release my module as a commercial extensions as is, including the modified core files, as long as the modified core files are licensed under OSL and the copyright states that they are the property of Varien?

And even if this is possible, is it a good idea to do so?

Thanks for your answers mate smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

rainman127

No, I’m sorry

If the module contains OSL code it has to be released under the OSL license.
Now you can charge for it but anyone who purchases it
has the same right to modify it under OSL guidelines.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

And so much for my brilliant plan hehe LOL. I suppose that my last resort is to extend the core classes I need to modify, and make the small modifications in parent functions. Basically make my adjustments in a custom file, then call the core function to take of the rest. It’s a little annoying having to do it this way, but I suppose I don’t really have much of a choice.

Thank you so much for your answers, they were of great help smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Emieteceha

Total Posts:  8

Hello,

the comments of this topic were really helpfull in some questions I also have had.

To establish clarity for my own extension, I want to ask some questions, too:

1. I want to replace some Magento-functions with my own code. This code does not build on any Magento-code and my extension is working.
2. I do not need any Magento-code ( smile ), but Magento-functions do need results from my modified functions to show a result to the user. Maybe one has to rewrite some Magento-variable-names from Magento-functions to get my results (for example $magento_result rewritten in $emiete_result).

Do I have to license my code under the OSL or not?

If something is unclear, please ask me.

With kind regards from Germany
Em

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

Mageparts. Just a quick note to say that you shouldn’t be touching any core code. Not because of licensing reasons but because any future updates would undo your work. Considering you are looking at releasing these as extensions for others to use then you are asking for a lot of trouble. If you need to change core code you should be overriding them first and making the necessary changes in your own code.

Doing this allows you to have 1 license model (of your choice) as well.

Regards
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community