Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Proper Way To Use Export/Import (with Images)? 

CreedFeed

Total Posts:  74
Milwaukee, WI

I’m trying to figure out the “proper” way that the import/export features are supposed to be used. From my understanding:

1. Import all product data into Magento.

When you want to make changes to your data:

1. Export product data
2. Edit CSV file
3. Import changed CSV file

This seems to work fine except for images. If you export a spreadsheet of the current data on your site you get image paths relative to the actual live image (example = /i/t/item2.jpg). So when you re-import a spreadsheet with that path, it sets all the products to use the default graphic when no image is present. If I set the spreadsheet back to the original filename I used when initially importing the images (in my example it would be /item2.jpg) the system just duplicates the image and now the product has 2 of the same image associated with it.

So what is the proper way to export and import when making changes to an already established set of product data? Do we delete the image columns, make them blank, change the paths?? Has anyone figured out a way to do this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

oshipper

Total Posts:  53
New York, NY

Hello Steve,
Did you try just leaving this image column blank on re-import?

Best,
Alex

Magento Community
Magento Community

esinrg

Total Posts:  3

Hi,
I have the same problem.  In the uploaded csv it is /item2.jpg, but it keeps on referring to /f/i/file.jpg (which it created itself).  It is referring many pictures to file.jpg.  I dont know why.  This is driving me crazy. 

Any help is appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dmibau

Total Posts:  72

Is there any way to export products that have more than one image? Now if I export to CSV a product that have more than one image, in the CSV file that I get there is only one path to image so I lost the rest of images.

Is it normal bahanior? Maybe I’m doing it wrong way?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community