Magento Forum

Better Forum Search

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Primarily, the search feature at the top of all pages of the M site does not seem to include for forums (last I checked). I would also like to see a forum-specific search at the bottom of the forum home page, just like how it’s included in the forum-category home pages.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

We are moving to Google Custom Search today which will make things much better (including spelling correction). That said, we are still waiting for Google to index the bulk of the pages on the site, so there may be a few days of ‘not so great’ results.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

Interesting. Well, I’m patient then. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

we’ll probably delay this for a day or two - still working on some other issues in the forum (utf8 encoding, for one)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

Is there not an option in Expression Engine to choose which sections/apps are included in search results?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

Total Posts:  36
NW Ohio–USA

I was about to start a thread myself.
The site search didn’t find the word javascript, and I know I just started a thread for it.
The way it stands now you would have to search each category in the forums to find that word and it would only be found in the General one at the moment.

I don’t think EE (expression engine) has an advanced search feature on their site either, maybe they are using the same Google search feature?
On their site it brings up the different search finds at the top of the forum listings and wherever else they are found on the site, it doesn’t work that good you have to click on each thing like in the site, or in the wiki to see what it found, sometimes not much of anything.

Anyways, besides a better search, another handy forum feature is when the forum shows the top 10 active posts in that category, possibly at the bottom of the page.
It’s much easier to keep up with the active topics with that type of feature.
Just some thoughts, hardly the focus of the subject at hand kick-butt shopping carts!

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

tzCart - the search on the expression engine site is pretty bad. We’ve actually been working on a much stronger implementation that should be up in the next few days. You can also expect advanced search functionality and tools to filter through latest posts much easier. It’s all in the works smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

NW Ohio–USA

Thanks Roy, I probably mis-spoke when I complained about the EE forum search. It works differently from some others.
The only other thing I noticed is when I close all the international forums using the (-) minus button, they don’t stay closed.’
(I know I’m of no help in any other language than english).

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

NW Ohio–USA

The new total site search w/Ajax really rocks now!!
Looks like it uses some features from the Google Ajax feed api.
Something like that would make a cool cart search, check these for demo’s of RSS feed controls:
http://ajaxian.com/archives/ajax-feed-api-blogroll-and-slideshow-controls
My boss spotted the fact that you need an api key for each use, and part of the reason maybe in the future they will only allow 1,000 hits or searches, like they do with some of their other services. Unless you go with a business/paid key.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

I don’t believe we are using Ajax - but thanks for the nice words. We do not have a limit of searches since we are using a commercial google service that we pay for.

So far we are very pleased with the results.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

I noticed that it is much improved. Didn’t see any ajax, etc but I love how it’s organized by site-section. Roy, you said you’re using Google for this? Is this part of the new “Custom Search Business Edition” .. You aren’t using a Google Mini, right?

Nice stuff. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

This search is an implementation of the new Google Custom Search Business Edition - its very powerful smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

I’d looked into Google in the past for search, and the only options at the time were the Google Mini ($$$) or sending your customers to a customized page on Google’s site. This new service is a welcome addition, and the price is competitive with other similar services. I’m gonna look into it for a couple of my clients as well as myself. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community