Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Admin console updating wrong site. 

fruitbat

Total Posts:  22

Hi, I have an issue with a single site store that I’ve set up.

I thought I was going crazy when I was able to upload product data via CSV, but none of my edits from the console were being registered. New products worked fine until I exported them and then imported them. I did find some red herrings on the forums about Excel versus OpenOffice format CSV, none of which made any sense.

After rooting around in the database I found that what was happening is that all my uploads are successfully going in to my site (which has ID:1) but all the edits from the console were happening to an admin site (ID:0)

How do I get the console to update my store? I’ve looked in the store admin section and there is only the website I wish to edit. I really need help with this as I don’t want to have to re-install Magento to get it to work.

Many thanks.

Included below are the core_store, core_store_group and core_website tables.

core_store
store_id  code       website_id  group_id  name     sort_order  is_active
0         admin      0           0         Admin    0           1
1         myStore    1           1         English  0           1

core_website
website_id  code    name            sort_order  default_group_id  is_default  
0           admin   Admin           0           0                 0 
1           base    Main Website    0           1                 1 

core_store_group
group_id    website_id  name        root_category_id  default_store_id  
0           0           
Default     0                 0 
1           1           Appliances  2                 1

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

fruitbat

Total Posts:  22

OK I’ve worked out the issue, and as I suspected it has nothing to do with the editor that you write your CSV in.

The issue seems to revolve around having a single “store view” when you have a single store.

Magento assumes that when you only have a single store, with a single store view, then all the content for any products will be the same as the default content. This makes perfect sense, you would want the only view to have the default information.

What makes it tricky is that this isn’t explained anywhere. What makes it more tricky is that to be helpful, the product editing page removes the drop-down allowing you to switch between stores and views.

The problem comes when you export from, or import into your view. The export will create a file tagged with the ID of your view. When you import this file (in to your view) if these are new products they will also create a new default copy (ID:0) else they will just update the store view copy.

As there is no drop down any edits you make are made to the default information, not the newly imported store view information. This means that if your website is showing your store view, no changes from the admin console will be seen.

The solution, if you only have a single view on a single store, is to upload in to the default store, with no view specific ID on the import. Internally Magento will “replicate” to your view so that changes made in the Admin console will be seen on site.

If you then add a new view, say for example for a new language, then on creating that, Magento will do the same replication from the default. To get language specific values you then need to import those changes, with the correct store view id, back in to the system. The edit product page will then display the drop down you are expecting.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community