Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

A Suggestion - Who is Magento for? 

Mike123

Total Posts:  8

Hi all

It seems to me that it is pretty unclear what market Magento is aimed at.

ZenCart fits in (sort of) in the part-time developer community, those tat want to have involvement in their site but not more than using an admin panel. My main issue with Zencart is the time it takes. Every change requires considerable time. And some changes require file editing that is beyound most (me at times),

I am waiting for a package that can fill the void, as I see it, or at least take a step in the same direction that ZenCart took from OsCommerce. In otherwords, OsCommerce was way too long winded for anyone but te most dedicated, ZenCart made made the conept simplier but not much.

Could Magento be a further step, or will it be an over-complex developer-only friendly system that will not be acesable by the tech-minded traders? I really hope it will be the former.

If it’s the latter I can save some time and look elsewhere. smile Any info here would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Mike - Our main focus is the online merchant (not the developer). We’ve created a system that is (in our eyes) exceptionally strong for those businesses that are looking for a premium solution and focused on getting sales.

In terms of developers, there is no doubt the skill and experience required is steeper than osCommerce and ZenCart. This is good. It will weed out the hobbyists and at the end of the day produce a product that is far superior in terms of quality, functionality and user experience to anything else that is on the market.

Hopefully this answers your question smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mike123

Thanks for the reply.

Just one thing though. Isn’t an online merchant that wants to create his/her own site a hobby developer? Or do you mean the setup is not meant for the online merchant, just the end product after being teaeked by a developer?

I ask this because it’s an aspect of ZenCart I found lacking. It is too limited for a true developer (what I mean is, if I were a website / ecomerce developer I would want a more intergrated, more personalised site tHan this would allow), but too complex for a merchant that is not extremely tech savvy. Plus without major tweaking it just doesn’t look good.

I do not mean to knock ZenCart, just thought it made a good example.

If Magento is more complex to setup and personlise then I think merchants doing it alone will be a no no. Yet I really believe there is a big market for the merchants IT savvy enough and the willingnes to go it alone, assuming we are not talking about huge stores and complex product issues.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Isn’t an online merchant that wants to create his/her own site a hobby developer? Or do you mean the setup is not meant for the online merchant, just the end product after being teaeked by a developer?

The end product is what I am talking about. I certainly hope that an online merchant is not a hobby developer (as much as I wouldn’t expect a brick and mortar store owner to architect and physically construct a store). In our experience, it’s better to leave things off to professionals that can get the job done as opposed to hacking through things. That said, this obviously isn’t for everyone. If a online merchants expects to develop customizations with Magento, they will need significant technical abilities. I certainly hope this will be minimized once Magento Connect goes online and extensions are available.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mike123

Thanks for getting back on this.

I probably used the wrong word when mentioning a hobby ‘developer’. A better example would be myself. I’m an ex-programmer (but far to out of date and not that knowledable of .css and .html and .php editing). I would not consider developing anything in a software sense now, but perhaps feel I know enough not to have to pay someone else to create a simple online store for me.

Primarily though, I am a merchant and soon-to-be online merchant. Thing is, I want to do it myself, mainly for 2 reasons. 1) because I want the control and find this stuff interesting enough to spend my time one 2) it keeps my out-of-date IT/web knowledge a bit sharper.

Can I just clarify, would you recommend Magento as a go-it-alone tool (for my own shop with basic customisations) for someone such as myself?

A lot of people on forums, when discussing open-source e-commerce, tend to give you a big ‘No’ when asked if you should go-it-alone but are not a capable php coder.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anjanesh

Total Posts:  136
Mumbai, India

If a online merchants expects to develop customizations with Magento, they will need significant technical abilities.

Apart from xHTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, MySQL ?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community