Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Downloadable Information Problems (what’s this URL option and how do I use it?)

xitch

Total Posts:  54

Hi I’m having problems with the flash uploader in the downloadable information (see thread http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/35531/) so I’m wondering what the ‘URL’ section under the ‘file’ bit is all about?

So I have a couple of questions about it:

Is this if you’re linking to somewhere off your site for the download?  It it is linking to somewhere on your site is this done by ftp and how do i find out the link for it??

Is it possible to upload the downloadable files via ftp and add them to the products that way?  If so how do I do this? 

As you can see I’m completely lost and as my store is 98% downloads I’m kinda screwed until I find a way to get all the files uploaded.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me,

Victoria

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

pesh

Total Posts:  9

Victoria,

Have you found an answer to this yet ?  I am working on something similar… maybe we can team up to get this fixed ?

pesh

Magento Community
Magento Community

xitch

Total Posts:  54

Hey Pesh, I found that I had to break my files down into smaller chunks to get the uploader to work.  LUCKILY I could do this as my packages were made of smaller individual sections.

I also found that the file names can NOT have white spaces in them or it will rename the files and end up screwing up your download system (or it did mine… test purchases resulted in the wrong links being given out!). 

From the feedback I’ve had on the other thread, apparently the Flash Upload limit is 2mb (however, I have problems with anything over 0.5mb) but if you name a small file the same name as you want it to store the big file under, upload that and then go in via ftp and find it (i found mine are saved in media/downloadable/X/X) and then you can replace it with the bigger file by overwriting it.  BUT the file name has to be identical.

To me this is a rather crappy way of doing it all.  Surely you should just be able to import all your files via ftp to a downloadable file and then in the products downloads section you should just be able to locate the file(s) you want to associate with that product, from a drop down menu or something.... would be a lot simplier imo.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pesh

Total Posts:  9

I actually DO ftp them up to a server and make them available via a URL option....  The issue I am dealing with now is that they are downloading - I think - but I cannot use a download manager… I do not see the status, and the only way I know that the file is being delivered is by looking at the network activity on my server and my workstation.

The nature of my site is to sell video.....  LARGE videos.  So I need to AT LEAST be able to share the PROGRESS with the end user, otherwise, they will give up on the download....  and want a refund.  My goal is to have a download manager grab the url and pull it down faster, with progress information.  It is just not cool to have it sit there blank.

I think this has to do with the way Magento is delivering the url to the customer....

At this point, I would be happy to just accept an order, then approve the order on the backend with a tinyurl link....  even though it would be more work for me, it would be a better experience for my customers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

giozua

Total Posts:  26

There are problem with translations . If you work with english Magento you don’t have problem; simply change the language interface dropdown with english on the bottom in admin page and the dowloadable url go to work succesfully.
Gio(vanni)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community