Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why isn’t this added? 

BuyDigital

Total Posts:  31

When I was first approached by a fellow on the internet evangelizing about Magento one of the things I was told was how user friendly it was. Having experienced the pain and suffering at the hands of osCommerce, CRE Loaded and Zen Cart I was elated that someone finally got it. Since I sell digital products I had little use for Magento until recently.

I installed the script and started adding categories and products.. only to realize my categories and products were not showing up on the front page, as depicted in the demo. I uninstalled, deleted files and db and started over. I honestly thought it was a bad upload or a bad install until the second time gave way to the same result. I then checked error logs and contacted my tech support all of which turned up nothing.. I was completely and utterly shocked when I came to the realization that Magento, a script touted as the best shopping cart software ever and a solution to small ecommerce businesses problems, did not include in the script a way to show the navigation for the site or the featured products on the front page.. something all of the other competitors do with ease.

I was further frustrated that this doesnt seem to be common knowledge. Since I also build sites for small businesses I have had a few opportunities to request that they use Magento, but they have all told me they tried the script and it’s broken… and one current client has gotten so frustrated with not being able to change categories on the fly she has actually asked me to switch her back to her old cart system.

Now the back end is pretty great and is feature backed.. but why the heck show a demo of your script running and doing things that the layman can’t do out of the box, especially when you dont inform them that it cant be done out of the box. Seems to me someone in charge of programming the next version of magento needs to look into some usability issues like this and make the script easier to understand and utilize in its most basic initial install form.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

The script does create the navigation on the fly. I recommend looking at the wiki.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BuyDigital

ShopGuy - 13 March 2009 05:07 PM

The script does create the navigation on the fly. I recommend looking at the wiki.

i’ve read all the wiki entries on navigation and nothing about this seems to appear.

i have created like 6 categories in the demo skin and not a single one shows up on the front page like in the store demo. if u have a link i would appreciate it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Did you create the categories as subcategories of the store root category? Did you create products in those categories and also make sure the products are associated with that web site? Did you set the categories to active?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BuyDigital

ShopGuy - 14 March 2009 11:49 AM

Did you create the categories as subcategories of the store root category? Did you create products in those categories and also make sure the products are associated with that web site? Did you set the categories to active?

I did all of that except the “make sure the products are associated with that web site” not sure what you mean there....

if you want to give it a whirl here is the link: http://preview.tinyurl.com/czcjnm
admin username is: admin
password is: temp123

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

It works. You didn’t select a root category for your store in System -> Manage Stores

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

BuyDigital: take a look at your site now. Is this what you was looking for? I added a Subcategory for Sniffers, and made all the Subcategories Anchor.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BuyDigital

norbolig - 14 March 2009 07:27 PM

BuyDigital: take a look at your site now. Is this what you was looking for? I added a Subcategory for Sniffers, and made all the Subcategories Anchor.

holy shit.. yes this is what i needed.. how did u do that?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BuyDigital

hmm well what i showed you guys was a second install attempt to figure out what is going on.. im still not getting the navigation to show up for the real install version… i’ve set everything up just like you guys did up there including going into the system to manager the site etc..

Magento Community
Magento Community

BuyDigital

ShopGuy - 14 March 2009 04:28 PM

It works. You didn’t select a root category for your store in System -> Manage Stores

btw. thanks

=]

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

I suggest that you take a look at Resources, Magento User Guide, Chapter 3, Creating Categories:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/welcome_to_the_magento_user_s_guide/chapter_3#creating_categories

as well as Assigning products at the category level.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community