Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Zend_Cache_Exception on first screen after upload

Retrofresh

Total Posts:  8

Hi,

I get an error as soon as I load my install up as follows:

exception 'Zend_Cache_Exception' with message 'cache_dir must be a directory' in /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/lib/Zend/Cache.php:130
Stack trace
:
#0 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/lib/Zend/Cache/Backend/File.php(151): Zend_Cache::throwException('cache_dir must ...')
#1 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/lib/Zend/Cache/Backend/File.php(128): Zend_Cache_Backend_File->setCacheDir('/home/default/l...')
#2 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/lib/Zend/Cache.php(115): Zend_Cache_Backend_File->__construct(Array)
#3 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(481): Zend_Cache::factory('Core', 'File', Array, Array)
#4 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Locale.php(70): Mage_Core_Model_App->getCache()
#5 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(586): Mage_Core_Model_Locale->__construct(Array)
#6 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/Mage.php(258): Mage_Core_Model_Config->getModelInstance('core/locale', Array)
#7 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/Mage.php(272): Mage::getModel('core/locale', Array)
#8 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(347): Mage::getSingleton('core/locale')
#9 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Translate.php(301): Mage_Core_Model_App->getLocale()
#10 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Translate.php(142): Mage_Core_Model_Translate->getLocale()
#11 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Translate.php(93): Mage_Core_Model_Translate->setConfig(Array)
#12 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App/Area.php(137): Mage_Core_Model_Translate->init('install')
#13 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App/Area.php(113): Mage_Core_Model_App_Area->_initTranslate()
#14 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App/Area.php(85): Mage_Core_Model_App_Area->_loadPart('translate')
#15 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(237): Mage_Core_Model_App_Area->load()
#16 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(364): Mage_Core_Model_App->loadArea('install')
#17 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Install/controllers/IndexController.php(34): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->preDispatch()
#18 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(330): Mage_Install_IndexController->preDispatch()
#19 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(149): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch('index')
#20 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(147): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#21 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/app/Mage.php(388): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#22 /home/default/litho.co.uk/user/htdocs/m/magento/index.php(28): Mage::run('base')
#23 {main}

the url of the install is http://www.litho.co.uk/m/magento

I wasn’t aware you need to set any ‘temp’ directories pre-configuaration?

How should I fix this?
Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Bill007

Total Posts:  179
New Zealand

The first error will create the rest so look in the first few lines for your answer

It looks like one of the files is missing this can be the case often

look at the file structure in your down load zip file of Magento and compare with whats sitting on your server I have had files with 0 bytes sent before of files are just plain skipped

Bill Bailey

Magento Community
Magento Community

Retrofresh

Hi,

Just in the process of comparing, all looks in tact so far. I did the install via SSH through a command line, downloaded the tar and unpacked it. I’ve also repeated that into a new directory and still get the same problem.

I’m going to download the Zip and upload to eliminate the problem being a corrupted tar file now.

Any other suggestions meantime?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Retrofresh

I’ve now tried deleting the directory, and uploading a new copy from the zip file, I’ve also tried unpacking directly into the magento directory via SSH, and still no joy, I keep getting the same error mesages. All files seem to be present and have correct file sizes.

The message “exception ‘Zend_Cache_Exception’ with message ‘cache_dir must be a directory’” would seem to indicate the cache_dir doesn’t exist, I’ve looked through the files and can’t actually find a physical location reference, so I’m still stuck before I’ve even started installation.

Can anyone shed any light on my problem please?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@duncannlovet: is it possible that var/cache is not a directory, but a regular file?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Retrofresh

I worked the problem out, there are no “cache” and “session” directories inside “Var” in the current builds zip and tar files, I’m surprised nobody else has experienced this problem…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community