Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Upgrade from 1.7.0.2 to 1.8.0.0 Alpha1

srmobile

Total Posts:  276

There is plenty of information on upgrading previous official versions but I cannot find anything about upgrading to the alpha1 version released yesterday.

Anyone have an idea on how to go about this?

Thanks,

SR

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ihpalash

Total Posts:  15

Hello, It’s really sad to note no one is replying any comment in this forum. It’s really bad. Without enough documentation this forum will be no use.
(easy process)
Any way, Yes, there is, if your site is live then go www.youdomain.com/downloader
You can find a orange option that says check upgrade. You see after a page load which extension needs upgrade, Since it’s about core upgrade then check all to be upgrade. Then your process will be start.
I don’t know if you loss your any data. I am not updating as I have a fear of losing my data or customization that I made.
Also note, you can get errors after upgrade. The documentation of magento doesn’t tell about different errors. It’s poorly documented. I hope the Magento chiefs will see this thread and talk details about updating magento.
Please do at your own risk.
thanks
smirk

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Please note, you shouldn’t update a live production store to an Alpha version. Please wait until it’s Stable. Alpha is just for testing in a development environment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ihpalash

Thanks for the reply sherry!!! at least we all know not every one in magento are zombie.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srmobile

Hi ihpalash, I agree sometimes it takes a while to get a response if at all so I appreciate you guys taking the time!

I guess I’ll wait since I’m close to launching and don’t want to have any set backs… I do have an image so I could always revert but I don’t want to waste anytime if its purely for a test environment. What I’m really interested is the updates to the taxation.

Thanks for the info!

SR

EDIT: Just had a quick look at mystore.com/download - I did try and do this before and the only option to “update” to 1.8 was only the mobile site. None the less - I guess I will wait.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ihpalash

yeap. I think magento engineers should not think about the taxs instead they should think how to make magento faster. there’s thousands of tricks in net about fasting magento. But that’s work for a limited people. Any way to impress a visitor one has only 3 seconds. So magento should take care of this in the stable release of 1.8 v.

Please make magento lighting fast like opencart.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srmobile

Taxation issue is huge for me (and the community as they’ve improved it in the new release).

As for speed issues, it is all relative to your hosting provider. I am sure though that with each version there are improvements to make Magento more efficient.

I\’ve been working on my store for over a year and have tried several different products, including opencart and came to the conclusion that Magento offers the most features.

There is a place you can make your suggestion formally, I don\’t believe that posting it here will garner any attention:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/

SR

Magento Community
Magento Community

David_Davis

Total Posts:  3

sherrie - 24 April 2013 04:40 PM

Please note, you shouldn’t update a live production store to an Alpha version. Please wait until it’s Stable. Alpha is just for testing in a development environment.

any ideas on when do they plan to release a stable version?

Magento Community
Magento Community

XComSteveJ
Magento Team

Total Posts:  9

I’m sorry I didn’t see your question until today. Upgrade documentation:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/ce18-and-ee113-install-upgrade

Please let me know if you have any issues with the documentation. Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

XComSteveJ
Magento Team

David_Davis - 30 April 2013 12:33 AM

I believe the announced date is 5/22.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shane12345

Total Posts:  4

Just a warning, 1.7 and 1.8 have some very different server requirements and I have been a week into figuring the differences. A working 1.7 to 1.8 upgrade can leave you with a…

500 Internal Server Error

Also, I ran into things that work (like an API) in 1.7 and fail to work in 1.8. I would stick with 1.7 for now until they get things figured out. Also, I am in agreement with the lack of response on this forum. Hopefully it is not a sign of Magento falling off.

Magento Community
Magento Community

XComSteveJ
Magento Team

shane12345 - 23 June 2013 12:06 PM

Just a warning, 1.7 and 1.8 have some very different server requirements and I have been a week into figuring the differences. A working 1.7 to 1.8 upgrade can leave you with a…

500 Internal Server Error

Can you elaborate? There shouldn’t be any system requirements differences.

Magento Community
Magento Community

XComSteveJ
Magento Team

shane12345 - 23 June 2013 12:06 PM

Also, I ran into things that work (like an API) in 1.7 and fail to work in 1.8. I would stick with 1.7 for now until they get things figured out. Also, I am in agreement with the lack of response on this forum. Hopefully it is not a sign of Magento falling off.

Please be specific. The only API changes were bug fixes listed here:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/ce-18-later-release-notes#ce18-1800api

Magento Community
Magento Community

hrm143

Total Posts:  12

XComSteveJ - 01 May 2013 10:18 AM

David_Davis - 30 April 2013 12:33 AM

I believe the announced date is 5/22.

Still no news about the release date for stable version...any idea when? can’t wait longer smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

XComSteveJ
Magento Team

I’m not aware of an announcement but I think it should be soon. I’ll post a date when I hear one.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

Hello there,

Any update on the next release of 1.8x ?

I don’t really understand how mage team cant provide a eta on a release.

All the road maps which used to be a great resource for updates is no longer maintained.

I honestly used to put more effort into the site, but really feel that its not worth the time investment. I can keep banging on about things, but why bother..

brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3