Magento Forum

Problems Upgrading

mmcnama4

Total Posts:  10

I have two issues:

1) When I tried to upgrade I got an error that people suggested was an issue with permissions for popen. My hosting company says they wont enable it on my server and so I need to know how I can update without using Magento Connect (or what I would need to do to make Connect work)?

What are my options?

2) B/c I cannot update myself the hosting company offered to do it for me. They wiped everything (luckily I didn’t have a live store) and now I cannot even see the installed components of the system (see attachments). This is a two part question. Primarily, how do I get Magento Connect to work? Secondly, if question 1 is answered would it be easier to revert back to the version prior to the current one and then upgrade or fix all of the instabilities in the newest version?

Thanks,
Matt

Image Attachments
magento connect screenshot1 copy.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

Do you have SSH access on your server? You can upgrade Magento using PEAR from the command line.

Run the following command from your Magento root directory:

./pear upgrade-all

This way you should not have any permission issues.

Regarding Magento Connect, you need to type in the following Extension Key and click Install: magento-core/Mage_All_Latest
Now all the installed modules should show up.

However, you said popen is disabled on your server, so Magento Connect will probably not work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mmcnama4

Total Posts:  10

Sindre|ProperHost - 14 March 2009 05:50 AM

Do you have SSH access on your server? You can upgrade Magento using PEAR from the command line.

Run the following command from your Magento root directory:

./pear upgrade-all

This way you should not have any permission issues.

Regarding Magento Connect, you need to type in the following Extension Key and click Install: magento-core/Mage_All_Latest

However, you said popen is disabled on your server, so Magento Connect will probably not work.

It has been a while since I have used SSH and even then I barely used it; how do I run the command in the root directory?

Also, does anyone know how I can accomplish “Regarding Magento Connect, you need to type in the following Extension Key and click Install: magento-core/Mage_All_Latest
Now all the installed modules should show up.” via SSH or without magento connect? Pretty much, how do you install an extension without using magento connect?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

mmcnama4: use a simple SSH client like Putty to log on to your server and run the commands. To change directory, use the cd command. Use ls to list the files and folders in your current working directory.

For example, assuming your Magento store is located under /home/mmcnama4/public_html, type:

cd /home/mmcnama4/public_html/
./
pear upgrade-all

This would upgrade all installed modules to the latest version.

To initialize the PEAR downloader without using the web-based Magento Connect Manager, run:

./pear mage-setup .
./
pear install magento-core/Mage_All_Latest

You can use PEAR to install other extensions as well. Just type ./pear install extension_key, replacing extension_key with the actual key you get from the Magento Connect pages.

Hope this helps! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonschwenn

Total Posts:  14

Sindre|ProperHost - 14 March 2009 05:50 AM

D

Magento Connect was working fine for me, I just never saw the update option ... so I installed that module and I get the following error when I open up Magento Connect

Exception caught:

Invalid method Mage_Adminhtml_Model_Url::turnOffSecretKey(Array ( ) )

Backtrace:

#0 [internal function]: Varien_Object->__call('turnOffSecretKe...', Array)
#1 /home/carcaredepot/public_html/magento/downloader/Maged/Controller.php(183): Mage_Adminhtml_Model_Url->turnOffSecretKey()
#2 /home/carcaredepot/public_html/magento/downloader/Maged/Controller.php(170): Maged_Controller::singleton()
#3 /home/carcaredepot/public_html/magento/downloader/index.php(35): Maged_Controller::run()
#4 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonschwenn

Fixed it with http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/37202/P30/#t121336

....  I have a custom theme ...  would an upgrade from 1.2.1.2 to 1.3.1 really change that much in terms of the layout or the theme?

Magento Community
Magento Community

helpinghandhost

Total Posts:  171

jonschwenn - 17 April 2009 07:50 PM

Fixed it with http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/37202/P30/#t121336

....  I have a custom theme ...  would an upgrade from 1.2.1.2 to 1.3.1 really change that much in terms of the layout or the theme?

That of course depends entirely on whether you have made any custom modifications or not.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonschwenn

helpinghandhost - 18 April 2009 02:23 AM

That of course depends entirely on whether you have made any custom modifications or not.

No modifications to the core files or anything - just images and CSS files in the template.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

As long as you have kept your customizations separate from the default templates, they will not be affected by the upgrade. However, if there are changes to the template engine you might have to update them slightly.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community