Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Set up a buy one get one HALF price rule? 

xitch

Total Posts:  54

I’ve been looking through the forums and through the wiki and user guide and although there are ways to do BOGOF’s and 3 for 2 offers, I can’t seem to find a way to make it buy x and get any other item for half price.

This is what I want to do:

Each month I have a new pattern that is given a ‘pattern of the month’ title.  When a customer purchases this pattern they are entitled to any other pattern for half it’s normal price (as long as it’s of equal or lower value to the featured pattern). 

I only want to give them ONE pattern half price, and ONLY if it’s no more than the featured pattern.  They also have to buy the featured pattern as well.  They may well purchase other patterns at the same time, but only one item should recieve the 50% discount. 

I can’t do a BOGOF deal as I use licensed artwork, so I am not able to give my patterns away for free, so the only real incentive is a half price offer on a 2nd item (increasing sales and revenue rather than just giving a discount on the featured pattern) but I don’t want to limit them to what patterns they can choose as their half price item (except the pricing limits ofc). 

Could anyone tell me if there is a way to do this?  I have been playing with the rules for a while but I’m not entirely clear what rules are doing to which item.

Thank you so much in advance for any help you guys can give me.....  Once i’ve got this sorted and uploaded my catalogue I’m ready to relaunch my site using magento - so any pointers for this (as this is a big factor) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Victoria

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

xitch

giving myself a little bump as I’m desperate to know this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RyanM

Total Posts:  13

Maybe I’m oversimplifying this in my head, but I would suggest that you look into a scenario like this:

In the ‘Conditions’ tab, set the rule to say “If an item is FOUND in the cart with ALL of these conditions true:” “sku is “SKU123” (assuming that SKU123 is the sku that you have to buy to get 50% off other additional skus)

then in the ‘Actions’ tab, set the “percent of product price discount” to 50%.  Then set “maximum qty discnt is applied to” to one (since it’s buy one get one half off).

Finally, under “Apply the rule only to cart items matching the following conditions” set all the skus that this promo could apply to (ie only skus that are equal to or less in price than the original product).

Hope that makes sense.  I havent tested this scenario, but in theory it should work.  If nothing else maybe it will get you on the right path.

Magento Community
Magento Community

xitch

I’ve actually gone along and simplified this even more!  lol.

Conditions

If an item is FOUND
.  in the cart with ALL
.  of these conditions true:
.Price in cart equals or greater than
.  5.00 (which is the price of the featured product)

..Quantity in cart equals or greater than
.  2 (so when the featured product and one other is added)

..SKU is one of
.  009001 (sku of the featured product)

Actions:
Give Fixed Discount off full cart
discount = 2.50

Basically what I’ve done is created the featured product as the one you get half price when you spend the total amount of the featured product. 

Thank you for your advice, it was that that gave me this idea :D

Magento Community
Magento Community

djoos

Total Posts:  28

I’m trying to set up a buy one (out of list of products), get one (out of list of products) half off.
+ once I have that set up, ideally the product with the discount is the cheapest of the 2 products

There is no way to set this up in Magento, is there?

The solution xitch went for in the end won’t do it, as it’s a pick between different products and different prices. And the solution RyanM gave seems to be perfectly ok when reading it, but when actually setting it up, Magento doesn\’t seem to follow the theory grin

FYI: our Magento version: Magento ver. 1.3.2.3

Thanks in advance for your help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

xitch - 12 March 2009 05:23 PM

I’ve been looking through the forums and through the wiki and user guide and although there are ways to do BOGOF’s and 3 for 2 offers, I can’t seem to find a way to make it buy x and get any other item for half price.

Each month I have a new pattern that is given a ‘pattern of the month’ title.  When a customer purchases this pattern they are entitled to any other pattern for half it’s normal price (as long as it’s of equal or lower value to the featured pattern). 

I only want to give them ONE pattern half price, and ONLY if it’s no more than the featured pattern.  They also have to buy the featured pattern as well.  They may well purchase other patterns at the same time, but only one item should recieve the 50% discount.

Victoria, with the Special Promotions extension you nay set up a rule to get ONE cheapest item for free if the cart content match some conditions, like contains featured pattern.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zero1

Total Posts:  11
Buxton, UK

xitch - 12 March 2009 05:23 PM

We have an extension which will allow Buy X get Y free where X can be any set of products defined in the promotion rule (in a category, matching a brand etc etc), and Y is the cheapest of these products.

You can do these and many more;
• BOGOF
• Buy X get the cheapest Free
• Buy X get the cheapest half price (or any set discount percentage)

The extension is called Buy X Get the Cheapest FREE

Magento Community
Magento Community

neal_ero

Total Posts:  14

So I have this working, but only if an Item has a quantity of 2. I want the customer to be able to buy any product in a category and get the second in that category for 50%. Any Ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

foowebs

Total Posts:  5
Wesley Chapel, FL

I had just posted how to fix this… http://www.foowebs.com/p134-Magento--How-to-Get-Buy-One-Get-One-Half-Off-To-Work

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community