Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Should I use multiple categories or attributes ? 

mocotnegam

Total Posts:  4

Hi all,

I’d like my customers to be able to find products in 3 ways :

- 1 : through a main descriptive category tree, example : apparel / t-shirts
- 2 : through a multi-criteria search, or preferably, a refined browsing : t-shirts that are pink and have a kitten printed
- 3 : through other categories or attributes in the advanced search : all products that are pink, or all products that have a kitten on them or all products that are pink and are t-shirts.

See what I mean ? Maybe the customer just want to browse t-shirt, or maybe brows all things that are pink (because she likes pink and want to buy something pink) or maybe she knows exactly what she wants and will look for t-shirts that are pink and have a kitten printed !
All products should be findable no matter from where a customer started browsing.

What’s the best way to implement this ?

I would prefer to use categories only (with anchored ones perhaps ?) because browsing is more natural and user friendly than searching, and also because attributes (advanced search) are not on every pages (but maybe I can put them ?).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

hey,

1 : through a main descriptive category tree, example : apparel / t-shirts
OK

- 2 : through a multi-criteria search, or preferably, a refined browsing : t-shirts that are pink and have a kitten printed
unless im missing something, wouldnt you just use the layered navigation to handle this?

- 3 : through other categories or attributes in the advanced search : all products that are pink, or all products that have a kitten on them or all products that are pink and are t-shirts.
not 100% sure what ur trying to do here

do you have a website i could look at that has something similar to what ur trying to achieve?

cheers
brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

mocotnegam

Total Posts:  4

brendan. - 12 March 2009 12:20 PM

unless im missing something, wouldnt you just use the layered navigation to handle this?

Ok I just watched the layered navigation screencast which shows the demo store.
So when I make a category anchor, attributes (Price and Color) will show up (Design and Color in my example), but because they are attributes, I can’t browse through them, I can’t see all pink products nor all kitten design products (only those in the category I’m in) as I could with categories.

brendan. - 12 March 2009 12:20 PM

not 100% sure what ur trying to do here

do you have a website i could look at that has something similar to what ur trying to achieve?

Imagine if I do it with categories only, I have the main descriptive category which is apparel, then the Design and the Color categories and all items of the apparel category are assigned to subcategories of both Design and Color categories.
This way I can start browsing by any of the 3, but as it seems I will not be able to filter out.
On the other hand if I do Design and Color with attributes, I’ll be able to filter out but not browse, am I right ?
The other inconvenient of attributes (I think) is that they can’t be nested, so I’ll have a huge list showing up.
So perhaps the only solution is to have Design and color both has categories and attributes, but I find this stupid.

PS: I don’t have a website to show off, this is a new project.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community