Magento Forum

Upload attributes

mase2hot

Total Posts:  12

Hi,

my existing site http://www.jcdcgadgets.co.uk/magento I have manged to uplaod all my products but now want to add attributes to most of them. I need to add sizes of the dresses that customers will need to select. Is it possible to upload this all as looking at a vid I watched for each attribute you needed to make a simple product. This would be very time consuming if I had to do it individually....

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1077
London, United Kingdom

hi there,

i have approx 80 different attributes atm.
Just some suggestions. If you havent done so, use attribute sets to define what attributes are used for what products.

yes you can upload all the attrubute data. But if for example you are using a custom attribute that uses a drop-down list you need to add these drop-down entires to the attribute first, then upload the data. The upload will not automatically add in the attribute data for these.

so in summary.

1.Set up attribute sets
2.Create new attributes. I name mine starting with a z_attribute_name just to make them easy to identify on the back end from core attributes
3.Assigned new attributes to attribute sets
4.using a dummy product fill in all the fields for the custom attributes
5. export using dataflow
this will give you the format to then upload back into magento

hth
brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

mase2hot

thanks for the reply some good advise there. Not quite sure what you mean by export dataflow? Do you just means export my catalogue? Another thing which I’m a bit stuck on is the via I watched http://www.magentocommerce.com/media/screencasts/configurable-products/view shows that you need to make a simple product for each attribute and then a configurable product linking them. From what you said is this what I would be doing in import form?

Thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

London, United Kingdom

hey,

yes, just export out your product catalog once you have created the new attributes. You will see these fields are added to the export file.

your second question, i suppose in need some more info. What types of products are you selling. Just simple products or configurable products. or simple products with options? Yeah confusing i know. my brain hurts just thinking about it!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mase2hot

Wow now i am confused! I thought I need configurable products but not sure now. In a nutshell if you go to my site its selling wedding dresses. I need options on the products for sizes of bra, thighs, hips, etc.... So ladies can select what size dress they need before they click on the buy button.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

London, United Kingdom

sorry, ive taken a different approach to this issue on my site.

within a single (simple) product i added custom options. I use this for product warranties.
see this url http://www.getstuff.com.au/36s550m-simpson-washing-machine-top-load.html

ill try this on my test site and see what happens.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community