Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Poll
Should Magento be licenced to businesses supplying those that prepare and engage in war?
Yes 5
No 4
Total Votes: 9
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Apple inspired licence disclaimer: not for use in arms trade

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

If you follow this link you will find that Apple don’t licence their software for creating ‘weapons of mass destruction’:

http://sycrat.com/sycrat/screenshots/screenshot1.png

There is an opportunity for the Magento team to put in something similar.

With Magento being ecommerce the equivalent could be a clause prohibiting the software to be used in the arms-trade or for anyone supplying the military at home or abroad.

Call me idealistic, but why not?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

that EULA has already been mocked time after time on the internet. its just completely silly. what does itunes have to do with shooting missiles? and your poll question is ridiculous and designed to be divisive by nature. its like saying “you support terrorism unless you include that silly EULA into magento!”

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

What’s wrong with supplying the military?  I don’t think adding a clause in the Magento license that prevents military sales is idealistic, it’s ridiculous.  Besides, if the military wants something, they are going to get it.  If someone has a business that sells to the military, I’m pretty sure they won’t be doing those sales online, so what the license does or does not say in that regard is meaningless.

If you have a problem with war, then you need to vote people into office who also have a problem with war.  I’m against the war in Iraq and any other war that wastes tax payers dollars and doesn’t really do any good, but I’m not sure how that relates at all to Magento and it’s license.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

Putting the moral argument aside (whether or not you should spread your values with licensing restrictions), one may not restrict the use of any source code and still label it as “open source”.  (unless you are the GPL v3).

Magento Community
Magento Community

battosai

Total Posts:  13

Discovery - 17 February 2008 11:29 AM

With Magento being ecommerce the equivalent could be a clause prohibiting the software to be used in the arms-trade or for anyone supplying the military at home or abroad.

I’m not in the military, but I’ve known more military folks than you could put in a ballroom.  They’re honorable people who are willing to fight so that the cowardly weasels who protest them continue to have that right.  They don’t get paid very much, and they are ordered to risk their lives.  And you want to cut off anyone who supplies them?  I’d better stop now or I’m going to say some things that aren’t decent in this forum.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mike123

Total Posts:  8

Actually, I would say Apple’s EULA is highly respected in some circles. It’s not about iTunes. Apple is a huge company that has a lot of sectors, and not wanting to aid war with its technology seems honourable enough to me.

Virtually everyone in this thread seems to have missed the point. This isn’t Apple advertising the fact, it is just what they choose to do and place in the licence agreement.

I presume Magento can’t do anything like this as it is open-source. But I’m certainly no expert in this area. And I am not pretending to be...........

battosai - 18 February 2008 06:49 PM

Discovery - 17 February 2008 11:29 AM

I’m not in the military, but I’ve known more military folks than you could put in a ballroom.  They’re honorable people who are willing to fight so that the cowardly weasels who protest them continue to have that right.  They don’t get paid very much, and they are ordered to risk their lives.  And you want to cut off anyone who supplies them?  I’d better stop now or I’m going to say some things that aren’t decent in this forum.

With all due respect, battosai, you’ve completely missed the point. This is nothing to do with military supplies to the brave men and women that give up a part of their lives for their country. That is not decided by any licence agreement.

This is about what purposes you choose to allow the use of your product for. And Apple choose to not let its technolgy be used legally by those wanting to start a war or promote warfare. Those that laugh at this kind of thing mostly don’t understand it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

Mike123 - 01 March 2008 08:03 AM

This is about what purposes you choose to allow the use of your product for. And Apple choose to not let its technolgy be used legally by those wanting to start a war or promote warfare. Those that laugh at this kind of thing mostly don’t understand it.

Actually, everyone is missing the point.  However venerable the OP’s intentions are, you cannot discriminate against any field of endeavor and still call yourself “open source” (at least by OSI’s definition).

Can we please close this post before it rouses any more feelings of patriotism or flaming?

http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

Magento Community
Magento Community

gumby

Total Posts:  1
INSERT INTO 'customer' (field) VALUES ('holycow')

Mike123 - 01 March 2008 08:03 AM

And Apple choose to not let its technolgy be used legally by those wanting to start a war or promote warfare. Those that laugh at this kind of thing mostly don’t understand it.

What constitutes “promoting warfare”?  Voting for someone who vows to ‘defend’ your country, but who is seen as aggressive by other countries?  Is that ‘promoting warfare’?  Would using magento to sell “elect bush 2004” stickers have been seen as ‘promoting warfare’ by some people?  You bet.  No one can have that much control over the use of software.

FWIW, I believe that restriction in the Apple license is common (nay, required) by US companies using certain types of encryption algorithms, and is simply boilerplate, and does not represent some sort of Apple ‘anti war’ manifesto.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

done - thread closed.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community