Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Import Problems

quantumm

Total Posts:  10

Hi guys,

I have been trying literally for days to get the import working and I need some help.

I am using 1.1.8.

Here’s what I did:

1) I had already input about 450 SKUs manually (!) into Magento so I exported the CSV to get an idea of what the spreadsheet looks like.
2) I made a couple of modifications to the spreadsheet, but did not add any rows.
3) Wanting to see the changes I made reflected in the product DB I used the import tool
4) Every time I upload the CSV file I get the following:

Processed 0% 0/458 records

It never works.

I have tried the following tricks: changing “admin” to “default” (didn’t work); saving the CSV as UTF-8 format; removing all stray “, copyright, euro sign and other characters; uploading the file and using the Local/Remote option; changing the Magento titles in row one to ‘No’ from ‘Yes’, etc., etc., etc.

Can someone please help me figure out what is wrong here - I would like to have about 14,000 products on my site but I am not about to do that manually.

Thank you.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hydra
Guru

Total Posts:  378
Amsterdam

Hi,

Are you by any change using MS Excel for your edits?
There are a lot of potential problems if you do.
Most of our import problems went away as soon as we started to use OpenOffice.

Ronald.

Magento Community
Magento Community

quantumm

Hello,

Thanks for the response.

I actually use OpenOffice exclusively so that part of the mystery is solved.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I have also tried saving in XML format and that did not work either.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hydra
Guru

Amsterdam

Can you post a part of your csv?

Magento Community
Magento Community

quantumm

Hi hydra,

Thanks for offering to help!

I have posted part of the CSV file, which contains one configurable and three simple products.

The file was created in OO from the original export file.  Saved using UTF-8 format, quotes, and comma-separation.

I had to use NotePad to save this attachment… I saved as txt file with UTF-8.

I’d appreciate any suggestions you might have.

(One thing I’m thinking about is whether every single field must be filled with something.  Another thing that occured to me is that if I right-click the csv file and choose “edit”, only some of the data is surrounded by quotes while other parts aren’t.)

A quick question to nip in the bud - when I indicate the number of rows in the uploader do I include the title row (e.g., if I have 600 rows but the first row is titles, do I put 599 in there)?

THANK YOU!

File Attachments
CSVSampleTXT.txt  (File Size: 8KB - Downloads: 207)

Magento Community
Magento Community

hydra
Guru

Amsterdam

Hi,

I have edited your file. (minor edits)
Can you test this file?
Please upload to <magento dir>/var/import and try the import.
I am sure we can get this to work for you. If you like you can pm me.
DO NOT change the number of records on the import page. it is default 1 (this is not the number of records to import ,but how many rows to read at once and you will need to increase php memory limits if you want to read more then 1 line at a time)
Also missing fields or empty fields will give a error with description of the error so that can not be your problem.

File Attachments
test-import.csv.txt  (File Size: 8KB - Downloads: 197)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community