Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Um… how do i put products on the homepage? 

max_croft

Total Posts:  8

OK. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong because everyone here seems to be having luck with the code

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="4"}}

Unfortunately it’s not working for me. Nothing happens when I add the code, I’m not even getting an error, it’s like I’ve made no changes. I really don’t know what else to try.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

eru.goodwin

Total Posts:  6

max_croft - 12 March 2008 02:44 AM

OK. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong because everyone here seems to be having luck with the code

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="4"}}

Unfortunately it’s not working for me. Nothing happens when I add the code, I’m not even getting an error, it’s like I’ve made no changes. I really don’t know what else to try.

I get the exact same thing

anyone know if its an issue with the new version or something ? theres no error or output at all

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

There was a slight change in the latest version, and you need to reference the template as well.
Try this:

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="4" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

Magento Community
Magento Community

max_croft

Perfect! It’s working great now!—I was going crazy. Thank you so much.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

Total Posts:  74

I tried this with the number from that page and it shows nothing. I don’t even get the “There are no products matching the selection.” message. Any ideas, anyone on what’s going on?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

Oops spoke too soon. Ross, I tried your code and now it works. Thanks!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

cornernote

Total Posts:  16

This code works for me, but it displays as a standard list/grid view.  I would really like to make my home page look the way the demo site looks, however I cannot get it to work.

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="4" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

I also tried this but it didn’t work at all (empty block):

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="4" template="catalog/product/new.phtml"}}

And this (also empty block):

{{block type="catalog/product_list_random" num_products="6" template="catalog/product/new.phtml"}}

Is there some place that explains how this CMS template system works, and maybe a few examples of what can be used?

Magento Community
Magento Community

max_croft

If you log into the backend on the demo site and look at their code, you’ll notice that the way they get it to look like that is by doing it manually using tables.

I’m not aware of any simple way of doing this, but if there is, I’m just as keen as you are in finding out how to do it. It would be nice as it’s much cleaner for the homepage.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cornernote

Total Posts:  16

Hello,

I got it, I pasted some code I used here:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/3696/#t16432

Hope it helps other people understand how the blocks basically work until more documentation becomes available.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

@Ross,

Does this still work? I have it pointing to my category which I found out the id for from the db since it won’t show the root category or any categories not under root catalog in the url rewrite, but I’m not getting any products anymore. I even tried deleting the category and recreating it since I was able to upgrade the db to 1.0 thanks to you, but I still get no products on the home page.

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="45" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

Actually this no longer seems to work even with categories inside the catalog. But it was working with the demo db now that I think about it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

Ok, after the upgrade, all the attributes are no longer in order. When going in to edit their order, the ajax fails. Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

I eventually got it to work after upgrading the database from version .9 (since all our products etc. were still in there with a few minor issues).

See:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/5120/P30/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2