Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can’t create configurable products

wickedbob

Total Posts:  8

Whenever I try to make a configurable product, I get the following error:

This attribute set do not have attributes which we can use for configurable product

This occurs both for the default attribute set and any custom ones I make.
I have an attribute in my custom sets which has been applied to configurable products.

Am I missing something here?  hmmm

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Greven

Total Posts:  36
Florence, AL

I get that too, and I’m not sure why. I’ve been trying to learn each product and doing it in the dark is a little hard.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wickedbob

Well..  I am hardly in the dark as Magento’s knowledgebase and screencasts are great.
I try to follow the instructions here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/media/screencasts/configurable-products/view
But the whole process falls over at the above error message.

Its frustrating that following the video doesn’t give the same result.
So I must have missed something somewhere.

Any help appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

infradawn

Total Posts:  24
White Peak UK

Followed the tut http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-a-configurable-product/ but always “This attribute set do not have attributes which we can use for configurable product”. I guess SML is not going live today…

Magento ver. 0.8.16100

iD

Magento Community
Magento Community

wickedbob

Looks like I am suffering from a bug:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue/?issue=1227

Only applies to duplicated products.
No problems with newly created ones.

Let’s hope this is fixed quickly.

BTW: I really like Magento’s website layout - easy to find everything you need and integrated search is a boon!

Magento Community
Magento Community

infradawn

White Peak UK

Even if no simple products with relevant configurable attributes are defined, the check box(es) should still appear under “Select Configurable Attributes” if the attribute set for the configurable product supports those attributes. Because the logic doesn’t check at this point that a qualifying simple product exists.

In the demo store (http://demo-admin.magentocommerce.com) I created a copy of the default attribute set, attempted to create a configurable product from the new set and got “This attribute set do not have attributes which we can use for configurable product” as expected. I then created a new “Garbage” attribute (with a defined attribute value list) and added it to the copied default attribute set. Note: no products exist based on this attribute set, so no products have a “Garbage” attribute defined let alone populated. I attempted to create a configurable product again and I got a “Garbage” checkbox as expected.

Repeated exactly the same steps on my store and I continue to get “This attribute set do not have attributes which we can use for configurable product”. Did a clean install of Magento 0.8.16100 (but kept existing d/b) and I get the same message every time. So the behaviour in the demo store is different from my store. Is the demo store ver 0.8.16100 (yes I know it says it is!) or does it get pre-release patched?

There may be a problem with duplicated products like you say, but responsible for this behaviour? I don’t see it. There’s no dependency on any product at the point of failure. Maybe I’m looking at a different problem which needs it’s own thread.

iD

Magento Community
Magento Community

wickedbob

infradawn - you are quite right.
this would appear to be two separate problems - neither desirable.

i can’t seem to see a bug report on this one either.
would you like to file one?

Magento Community
Magento Community

infradawn

White Peak UK

Re-installed 0.8.16100 with a clean d/b and the problem (unable to create configurable product) has gone away. It’s possible that something else I did fixed the problem but I did try pretty much everything before clearing down the d/b. If it was bad data it would be good to identify what data. I wouldn’t want to drop a production d/b if it happens again! Can the M-Team comment on whether bad data is a possible cause and if so how to ‘surgically’ correct? Thanks.

iD

Magento Community
Magento Community

wickedbob

Thanks for the update Infradawn.
I have two installations - both brand new 0.8.16100 and experience the problem.

Do you have an idea of the other things you have tried?

Magento Community
Magento Community

turnon

Total Posts:  129

same problem with me

does anyone has teh answer ?

is it already reported as bug ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

seDev

Total Posts:  51

I had the same problem and fixed it by setting the Global Editable property in the attribute to “Yes”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

turnon

Total Posts:  129

ther eis a “gap” between the tuturial http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-a-configurable-product/ and the screen in the latest version

please select field option Apply To Configurable/Grouped Product YES instead of No

Magento Community
Magento Community

cidadecyber

Total Posts:  9
Sao Paulo, Brasil

Only attributes with scope “Global”, input type “Dropdown” and Use To Create Configurable Product “Yes” are available.

well I have set every attribute and attribute set to global and input type as Dropdown and get the same message/error when trying to create a configurable Product

this is truly the most frustrating aspect of Magento

I believe I will move to another cart solution for this very Reason

Magento Community
Magento Community

voiceinthewild

Total Posts:  14
Calgary, Alberta

cidadecyber -

You’ll need to manage and edit an attribute set, then drag your unassigned attributes to the group area.

cheers
Ed
Jabez Networks, Inc.
E-commerce, SEO, & China Business.

Magento Community
Magento Community

voiceinthewild

Total Posts:  14
Calgary, Alberta

And make the attribute visible on the front-end.

cheers
Ed
Jabez Networks, Inc.
E-commerce, SEO, & China Business.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cidadecyber

Total Posts:  9
Sao Paulo, Brasil

thank you voiceinthewild grin