Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Hiding multiple stores from each other

Addison James

Total Posts:  1

Question 1
I’m looking to setup a multiple store system, but I don’t want to display links from one store to another.

So if I have multiple stores: store 1, store 2, store 3, store 4… is it possible to provide a link to store 1, and while you’re visiting store 1, you would have no idea that there are even any other stores?

Question 2
Also, I’m assuming there are separate admin panels (back ends) for each store, correct?

Question 3
Does the multiple store setup HAVE to use the same global shopping cart? Or is it possible to have separate shopping carts for each store?

If not, what if someone purchased products from 2 different stores? Does the portion of the order from store 1 only display in store 1’s backend and the portion of the order from store 2 only display in store 2’s backend, etc.? But the customer gets 1 main receipt? Or what?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

So if I have multiple stores: store 1, store 2, store 3, store 4… is it possible to provide a link to store 1, and while you’re visiting store 1, you would have no idea that there are even any other stores?

Yes.

Also, I’m assuming there are separate admin panels (back ends) for each store, correct?

Not supported at this time.

Does the multiple store setup HAVE to use the same global shopping cart? Or is it possible to have separate shopping carts for each store?

Possible and supported.

If not, what if someone purchased products from 2 different stores? Does the portion of the order from store 1 only display in store 1’s backend and the portion of the order from store 2 only display in store 2’s backend, etc.? But the customer gets 1 main receipt? Or what?

You can track sales per store and per website. The user will see all items in one receipt. 

You should check out this helpful webinar on multi store functionality.

Magento Community
Magento Community

paula22

Total Posts:  3

Hi,

Question 2

Is this still not possible?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Novusweb

Total Posts:  89
Texas

At present, there is no provision in Magento 1.4 or 1.5 to assign user roles according to Store View or Website. Unfortunately. Hopefully, that will come soon.

You can, however, segregate customer accounts from each other so that the customer information is not available across stores. I.e., a customer would have to register at each website/store when making a purchase.

Although we haven’t tested them yet, there are extensions, I believe, available to enhance user permissions. We’ll be getting into that a bit later after we turn over sites we manage for clients to their control. The one extension I know about - and I haven’t tested it yet - is Advanced Permissions. If it does what it says it does, that might be the solution to your issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Novusweb

Total Posts:  89
Texas

@Addison,

You don’t have to provide links from/to each store. You can remove the “switcher” code from your page:

1. Find app/design/frontend/default/[Your Theme]/layout/page.xml.

2. Make a copy of this file as a backup (always a good thing to do before changing any code!)

3. Remove the line “<block type="page/switch" name="store_switcher" as="store_switcher" template="page/switch/stores.phtml"/>".

4. Save and upload this file.

This should take out the “Store Switcher” code that appears on your page.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community