Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Skip import row, required field “sku” not defined

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  833

I’m trying to import 3500 products using the import wizard, but this error appears every time. I’ve tried the field mapping, matching the headers & even doing the export to use as template, but still this error appears constantly and it’s driving me crazy. I want to give this cart a try, but can only do it with my usual product list, but I’m at the point of giving up because it’s too frustrating.

Is anyone able to provide any assistance or advice on why this is happening?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Did you define one sku column? (or a mapped field to fill that Magento row?)

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

Yes, I have the sku column defined and tried mapping it also. It works when perfectly when importing its own export file, but stops when using my own. Is there a limit to the number of characters in the sku field or something? I can’t think of why else it wouldn’t work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I can’t remember a length limit.
Can you post or attach one line of your csv?

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

store    websites    attribute_set    type    sku    category_ids    has_options    cost    price    name    meta_title    meta_description    image    small_image    url_key    thumbnail    gift_message_available    url_path    custom_design    options_container    finish    description    meta_keyword    dimension    model    short_description    custom_layout_update    status    tax_class_id    visibility    enable_googlecheckout    qty    min_qty    use_config_min_qty    is_qty_decimal    backorders    use_config_backorders    min_sale_qty    use_config_min_sale_qty    max_sale_qty    use_config_max_sale_qty    is_in_stock    low_stock_date    notify_stock_qty    use_config_notify_stock_qty    manage_stock    use_config_manage_stock    stock_status_changed_automatically    
admin    base    Furniture    simple    0180
-0192        0        227    Heidelberg 4 Door 2 Centre Mirror 2 Drawer Wardrobe    Heidelberg 4 Door 2 Centre Mirror 2 Drawer Wardrobe    Heidelberg 4 Door 2 Centre Mirror 2 Drawer Wardrobe    /0180-0192.jpg                Use config            Block after Info Column        Heidelberg 4 Door 2 Centre Mirror 2 Drawer Wardrobe                Heidelberg 4 Door 2 Centre Mirror 2 Drawer Wardrobe        Enabled    default    CatalogSearch    Yes    0    0    1    0    0    1    1    1    0    1    0    09/03/2009 21:39        1    0    1    0

I used the template again and inserted data into that one, the same error occurs but at least this time it’s showing the progress bar - it never did that before, just skipped to the end. so getting closer to fixing the problem

Magento Community
Magento Community

vinnycool

Total Posts:  16

The answer is UTF-8. I’ve decided to write a tutorial to help those who are getting errors when importing a .csv file in Magento. Here’s the link:

http://www.designincontrast.com/blog/2010/07/skip-import-row-required-field-sku-not-defined-skip-import-row-required-field-store-not-defined-solution-magento/

I hope this helps you!

Magento Community
Magento Community

PurpleARO

Total Posts:  50

Thank you for the simple straight to the point answer, I knew it had to be the format of the CSV, UTF is the key! Thank you once again!

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Saving CSV file from Excel with UTF-8 encoding. How to enable it.

Excel 2007

Excel 2003

Magento Community
Magento Community

opacons

Total Posts:  15

I’m having the same problem importing a csv actually exported from a Magento store. I’ve made sure the sku column is present and populated and saved the csv using UTF-8.

You’d think Magento would be able to import its own data but it seems even that would be too much to ask.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Towering Media

Total Posts:  77
Seattle, WA

required field \"sku\" is not defined. SOLVED
In the excel doc right before you save it to import it use the CLEAR FORMATTING button.
I hope this saves you all some time!

http://www.kbdevelop.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

Towering Media

Total Posts:  77
Seattle, WA

To add to my last post ultimately I ended up exporting the CSV then opening it in note pad, and resaving it as utf-8.

Ecommerce design, marketing, and support

Magento Community
Magento Community

drew.gillson

Total Posts:  15

I’m still experiencing this problem even though my file is UTF-8 encoded using Unix line endings. It is really frustrating! Has anyone else solved this problem? I’m running a 7,500 product import and it will intermittently load some rows and not others, but they are different rows every time.

Running 1.4.2 with the attached Productimport.php in my local directory.

Please help!

File Attachments
Productimport.php  (File Size: 21KB - Downloads: 232)

Magento Community
Magento Community

viditech

Total Posts:  7

I had the same error message after altering the CSV in Excel, but had success importing the CSV into Google Documents and then Exporting as CSV.  Use the exported file in your magento import.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

Total Posts:  340

I always run into this problem and always fiddle to solve it.  Anyways, this is working.

Save as UTF8-no BOM
Make sure Line feeds are set to CR/LF (DOS Terminators)

Don’t forget to set the import page to \t if you are exporting from Excel.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dd44ww

Total Posts:  4

I have tried all of the above and this is really frustrating, nothing works!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

dd44ww

Total Posts:  4

What about parent-child sku, is that why it is giving me this error?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2