Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 4
Barebones Guide: 1and1.com Shared Hosting Installation (North America)

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@risource: all urls are stored in db table core_config_data, in records with path like ‘web/%’

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

risource

Total Posts:  2

Thanks Moshe.

I see secure base_url and base_url are properly defined in core_config_data so it is something else.

A click on “go to backend” sends me properly to
https://ssl.perfora.net/mydomain.com/mybasedir/admin

But when I login, the SUBMIT sends me to
https://ssl.perfora.net/mybasedir/admin (notice the mydomain.com is missing)

Could it be magento isn’t expecting that form of a shared cert URL and is dropping part of it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

magbuzz

Total Posts:  32

Just installed 1.0 without problem....anxious to get started but have one question.....
I did a normal install inside of main magento folder.

Question: Can I just move all the magento files up one level to the root or will this break the install?

I have (frontend): http://www.my_domain.com/magento
But I want: http://www.my_domain.com (I want the magento index.php here)

I don’t want the magento directory so can I get rid of it without any problems?
m

Magento Community
Magento Community

magbuzz

Total Posts:  32

I will answer my own question.
I moved all magento files to the home directory and all appears to be functioning normally.

m

Magento Community
Magento Community

Josue4ever

Total Posts:  138
Mexico DF

My magento installation is Ok but i have to edit the .htaccess . I tryed to edit some lines but it doesnt works.

Here is my htaccess file (Works on 1and1)

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

<IfModule mod_php5.c>
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
php_flag short_open_tag on
</IfModule>

DirectoryIndex index.php

RewriteEngine on

RewriteBase /magento
RewriteRule !\.(js|ico|txt|gif|jpg|png|css)$ index.php

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/media/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/skin/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/js/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l

RewriteRule .* index.php

i hope it helps someone

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisandy

Total Posts:  92

My first post so go easy!

Installing Magento 1.0 at 1and1 UK. I think I followed all the various instructions on here but I’m getting the following error:

Error in file: “/homepages/##/d#########/htdocs/magtest/app/code/core/Mage/Sales/sql/sales_setup/mysql4-install-0.8.11.php” - SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table ‘sales_counter’ already exists

Just noticed that that line includes “mysql4” in there?

My .htaccess file just contains:

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

RewriteBase /

Is that correct and what should the permissions be on the .htaccess file?

Many thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lee Nugent

Total Posts:  25

Hi all, I’ve always found that 1and1 are very reluctant to share config info so hopefully i can help instead!

I was messing around trying to get zlib compression working on my shared hosting package without sucess.  2 calls and 30 minutes later I was told to create a new php.ini file in the root of my webpage to override the server settings.  I never knew this could be done but I suppose you learn something new everyday.

Working great with initial bandwidth savings of 73% and visible speed increase.  Haven’t really played with different levels of compression yet but I’m sure as soon as I do 1and1 will send me their ‘standard fair usage policy violation’ email trying to sell me a dedicated server.

A useful site to check if your site’ s compression is enabled is:

http://www.whatsmyip.org/mod_gzip_test/

Good luck everyone grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lee Nugent

Hi chrisandy, the error message you describe sounds simply like the database tables/view have already been created.  Did this error occur during your first installation?

You could drop (delete) all tables in your database using phpMyAdmin if they are no longer needed and start again, or just create a new database.

My .htaccess file details are as follows:

AddHandler x-mapp-php .php4

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Airforce111

Total Posts:  100

Lee Nugent - 08 April 2008 12:13 PM

I was messing around trying to get zlib compression working on my shared hosting package without sucess.  2 calls and 30 minutes later I was told to create a new php.ini file in the root of my webpage to override the server settings.  I never knew this could be done but I suppose you learn something new everyday.

I managed to get zlib/gzip compression on 1and1 enabled without much trouble on one of my other projects (non-magento related) without needing any overwriting of the config files. In my case, zlib.output_compression was disabled on 1and1 shared hosts, so, it is possible to still use the output buffer with the gzhandler through php for compression. Just need to double check both of them isn’t enabled at once.

Also, a better site for gzip compression validation is through http://www.gidnetwork.com/tools/gzip-test.php. They actually list the response in greater details, such as the ‘content-encoding’ response which should show eg gzip. In my case again, the site employed both .htaccess and php header redirects, and according to the other site, it doesn’t validate. gidnetwork lists the source code and immediately, you can tell why it wasn’t validating.

It is also possible to validate compression through the firebug plugin for firefox. It’ll list the request and response headers which contains the relevent info.

Hope ya learnt something new and exciting again smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lee Nugent

Thanks Airforce111,

I’m planning on adding products to the site and then have a play with compression. I came across http://www.gidnetwork.com/tools/gzip-test.php last night and it is much more useful.

I’m really struggling at the moment to justify dedicated hosting but I know that I may need it in the future hence my current interest in compression. If im sticking with shared hosting for the time being I may as well attempt to speed up the access!

Im a server engineer and I begrudge paying for 1and1 dedicated hosting when I know their lower end packages are using cheap servers. I get amazing deals on Dell servers but somehow I dont think work would approve of me putting my new web-server in the corporate DMZ wink

If anybody knows a good dedicated server hosting company in the UK let me know.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisandy

Still no joy with this after 4 attempts.

I get an error 500 and then hit the back button a couple of times to get an error:

Error in file: “/homepages/##/#######/htdocs/magtest/magento/app/code/core/Mage/SalesRule/sql/salesrule_setup/mysql4-install-0.7.0.php” - SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table ‘salesrule’ already exists

I’ve tried following all the instructions really close and I can’t begin to think what could be wrong.

This is 1&1;(UK) shared professional hosting package. I set up 3 databases so I could try 3 different installs so it was a clean install every time.

Any ideas? Why is the error mentioning ‘mysql4’ when the database is definitely set up as 5?

I’m getting virtually the same error every time except each time the name of the table that is said to already exist is different.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LynchBeard

Total Posts:  6

Hey chrisandy, you’re not alone! i’m having exactly the same issue as you. If you ever get it fixed please share your solution!  wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisandy

Hi LynchBeard - In a strange way I’m relieved about that! It gives me hope! smirk

Magento Community
Magento Community

diri

Total Posts:  48

1and1 hosting’s setup is very similar around the world. Based on this knowledge I tried to set Magento up at a hosting package without luck. I’m plagueing support since about a week.

btw:
One can try to send mail to … and complain about your problem(s) when you are sure there is no bug in Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chrisandy

I am seeing similar queries from other users that I don’t think are using 1and1 so maybe this is either a bug or a particular kind of server set up that is the problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 4