Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 4
Disable state/province option in the backend

erenaud

Total Posts:  221
Minden, Germany

No, I didn’t.

but from what I see, the custom theme doesn’t handle the checkout, so I understand that magento would still call this from the original template.

If I am wrong. which files would I exactly need to copy to my custom template ?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nickweisser

Total Posts:  218
Zurich, Switzerland

benak - 26 May 2009 05:27 AM

When i fill in the adress (without state) and i select to use the same address for shipping the next tab does not show.
Does this happen only to me ?

I’m having the same issue under 1.3.2.1 (latest). Extension has been properly uploaded to custom theme/template (only slightly modified default template).

Has anybody been able to solve this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

hoand

Total Posts:  29

I also had this error, I found a solution that:
open js/varien/form.js, comment out these lines (around line 173):

if (this.regionSelectEl.options.length<=1{
     this
.update();
}
It works but I am not sure if it affects the system. Try this or If somebody has a better solution, please share.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Toff

Total Posts:  20

Hello

You can deactivate the regionbox only in billing.phtml or shipping.phtml like this.

Before:

<select id="shipping:region_id" name="shipping[region_id]" title="<?php echo $this->__('State/Province') ?>" class="validate-select" style="display:none">
                <
option value=""><?php echo $this->__('Please select region, state or province'?></option>
</
select>

After:

<select id="shipping:region_id" name="shipping[region_id]" title="<?php echo $this->__('State/Province') ?>" class="validate-select" style="display:none">
                <
option value="1"><?php echo $this->__('Please select region, state or province'?></option>
</
select>

* remove class="validate-select"
* add 1 to <option value="">

grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

erwanpia

Total Posts:  41
Locronan, Brittany

Nice one toff

I don’t understand why the select box appears as it is display:none

my code for disabling the region field is the following, I apply display:none to the div above :

<div class="input-box" style="display:none">
            <
label for="shipping:region_id"><?php echo $this->__('State/Province'?> <span class="required">*</span></label><br />
             <
select id="shipping:region_id"  name="shipping[region_id]" title="<?php echo $this->__('State/Province') ?>" class="validate-select" style="display:none">
                <
option value="1"><?php echo $this->__('Please select region, state or province'?></option>
            </
select>
            <
script type="text/javascript">
                $(
'shipping:region_id').setAttribute('defaultValue',  "<?php echo $this->getAddress()->getRegionId() ?>");

</script>

<input type="text" id="shipping:region" name="shipping[region]" value="<?php echo $this->htmlEscape($this->getAddress()->getRegion()) ?>" title="<?php echo $this->__('State/Province') ?>" class="input-text" style="display:none" /></div>

Magento Community
Magento Community

dolu

Total Posts:  41

Im waiting for this high importance feature too!

I cant find any work out for this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mcSherpa

Total Posts:  33
Groningen

This issue has got my vote, too!

I think this is part of a wider problem. Magento is developed as a US system. Consequently, it does not cope with international address issues sufficiently. The display of state/province is just one example.

Example 2:. zip codes / postal codes are placed _behind_ the city name. That’s OK in the US, but many countries require the postal code _in front of_ the city name.

Example 3: in US English the header of letters/e-mail is easy. All you have to do is place “Dear” in front of the name. In many languages it is a little more complicated. If you want to construct “Sehr geehrter Herr Beckenbauer,” then you need to have separate first and last names, a gender code and seperate fields for letter/mail addressing and envelop/shipping addressing.

How the settings should be depends on the country at hand. So the settings need to be saved in the the Countries table of the database. In France the departements should be displayed, in Holland the provinces should not. In the US the postal codes are placed behind the city name, in Germay in front of.

These issues are way too complicated for exension developers. It is a task for the Magento core team.

Magento Community
Magento Community

heyhoo

Total Posts:  1

Here’s my vote for this issue as well!

I agree with mcSherpa that this issue is part of a wider problem.
Settings should be done on a per country basis. Different countries need different displays and requirements. Think of difference between US, UK, and Netherlands for example. (see examples from mcSherpa)

In my opinion this is way too complicated for an extension so hopefully Mangento core team takes this into development.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ps2gamefreak

Total Posts:  4

Nick Weisser - 15 June 2009 06:46 AM

benak - 26 May 2009 05:27 AM
When i fill in the adress (without state) and i select to use the same address for shipping the next tab does not show.
Does this happen only to me ?

I’m having the same issue under 1.3.2.1 (latest). Extension has been properly uploaded to custom theme/template (only slightly modified default template).

Has anybody been able to solve this?

I had the same problem. In app/design/frontend/default/default/layout/template/adjregion i deleted this:

<fieldset>
<?php if ($this->canShip()): ?>
<p>
<input type="radio" name="billing[use_for_shipping]" id="billing:use_for_shipping_yes" value="1" <?php if ($this->isUseBillingAddressForShipping()) {?>checked="checked" <?php }?>onclick="$(’shipping:same_as_billing’).checked = true;” /> <label for="billing:use_for_shipping_yes"><?php echo $this->__('Ship to this address') ?></label>     <input type="radio" name="billing[use_for_shipping]" id="billing:use_for_shipping_no" value="0" <?php if (!$this->isUseBillingAddressForShipping()) {?>checked="checked" <?php }?>onclick="$(’shipping:same_as_billing’).checked = false;” /> <label for="billing:use_for_shipping_no"><?php echo $this->__('Ship to different address') ?></label>
</p>
<?php else: ?>
<p class="no-display"><input type="hidden" name="billing[use_for_shipping]" value="1" /></p>
<?php endif; ?>
</fieldset>

from checkout_onepage_billing.phtml, and that seems to work. grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

mcSherpa

Groningen

The Magento team is asking the community which features or optimizations they find most important. You can vote on http://magento.uservoice.com.

I entered an item called “Proper international addressing”, which covers three problems:
1. state/province/county,
2. the position of the postal code (behind the city name or in front of it)
3. personal address ("Dear Bill Clinton” versus “Sehr geehrte Frau Doktor Merkel").

Please go to http://magento.uservoice.com and give this item three votes.  Thank you all!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jules02

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

I’ve a problem about le field “State/province” when i want to edit it.
In fact, this field is a input text when it should be a select box.

I’ve a custom template, but for edit adress i’m using the default file.

Please someone can help me ;D

Magento Community
Magento Community

rooneykarl

Total Posts:  6

Heres my vote. I would love to be able to take away the state/province option. I have websites in New Zealand so I dont need it.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mcSherpa

Groningen

We installed Dull_addressfields from MagentoConnect (http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1904/). It solves the problem and it works perfectly.
A pity I could not give it five stars as the rating feature is under review currently.

Magento Community
Magento Community

royaleshops

Total Posts:  20

Agree with mcSherpa - this is a 5 Star ***** extension - I have been looking for so long ! Installs like a beauty and works immediately. Thank for pointing it out !

Magento Community
Magento Community

bug00

Total Posts:  7

Dull_addressfields works in local installation, but not on server installation for me :’(

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 4