Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Installation problems when “Package Management through the Web”

tonedoggydogg

Total Posts:  28

I am running the following:
Linux box with Apache 1.3.41 (Unix)
MySQL 4.1.22
PHP 4.4.8 with PHP 5.2.3 available using .php5

(Note that the system is installed in a subdir named /shop)

I attempted to install Magento by uncommenting the following lines from .htaccess:

Action php5-cgi /cgi-bin/php-cgi
AddHandler php5
-cgi .php

The above did not work; it returned an error:

The requested URL /cgi-bin/php-cgi/shop/index.php/installwas not found on this server.

I tried all sorts of stuff such as reuploading it, setting it to 755, making sure the cgi-bin folder was set to 755, etc. So I gave up, recommented the above 2 lines of code, and instead added this to .htaccess:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php

This at least got the installation going. I ran into a snag in the “Package Management through the Web” option; it completely failed. So I went for the manual option because I had no idea what the SVN Installation meant. The manual option also failed, and I’ve attached a list of what was displayed. I even highlighted the errors that concerned me.

Does anyone know what’s wrong based on the above information? I wonder if it’s because the installation is in a subdirectory? Or is it because one of the System Requirements have not been met? I thought I met all requirements however. Is there some sort of “test.php” file that will check whether all requirements have been met?

Any help is appreciated.

File Attachments
install_error_using_pear_manual.htm  (File Size: 27KB - Downloads: 192)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tonedoggydogg

I mean, out of 160 people, I can’t get a single reply? The support for Magento is a bit frightening to be honest.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Airforce111

Total Posts:  100

I’m not sure about all of the stuff near the beginning of your post, however, if you downloaded the full install package, then you do not need to necessarily run the PEAR install. Just skip it by choosing SVN. The SVN is similar to the CVS repository.

Reference: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/2491/

Magento Community
Magento Community

tonedoggydogg

Airforce111 - 15 February 2008 01:41 PM

I’m not sure about all of the stuff near the beginning of your post, however, if you downloaded the full install package, then you do not need to necessarily run the PEAR install. Just skip it by choosing SVN. The SVN is similar to the CVS repository.

Reference: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/2491/

Thanks Airforce111. I was starting to feel completely ignored. I downloaded:
magento-0.8.16100.tar.gz which was approximately 7MB

The Installation Wizard said it was ver. 0.8.16100

There was a huge DOWNLOAD button on the front of the site and that’s what I chose.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tonedoggydogg

I fixed it!

Thanks to Airforce111, I decided to actual go for the manual installation, since he said that a web download wasn’t necessary. So I scrolled down and clicked “Manual Install” and it moved on after a short pause. The installation was successful, and now I just have some weird memory limit error. I’ll check the forums or post that error next.

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

good job. although thats a bit surprising. those errors seem to indicate you’re still running php4. also when you went the php as cgi method did you even upload the php/cgi binary?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Airforce111

Total Posts:  100

I’m glad that worked for ya. It would be interesting to see what your phpinfo() shows on your particular installation of Magento, within the magento folder. Reading that should solve the rest of your issues, if some of your requirements aren’t actually being met there. For example, the phpinfo should show what version you’re running.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tonedoggydogg

iblastoff - 15 February 2008 02:09 PM

good job. although thats a bit surprising. those errors seem to indicate you’re still running php4. also when you went the php as cgi method did you even upload the php/cgi binary?

Yes, iblastoff. I uploaded the cgi binary using cPanel. I verified the location of the cgi-bin as well by attempting to access it via browser, which of course gave a 500 Internal server error. So I know it at least existed. But that method didn’t work, so I had to try using the .htaccess method instead. By default, yes the server is running php 4, but when adding .php5 as the extension, it knows to run php 5.2.3. But I used .htaccess in the magento folder to run 5. Now I’m getting memory errors after increasing the memory_limit on the server to 64MB. This should be totally unnecessary for an empty system. I don’t understand the problem really.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community