Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

OK, I’m not a CMS kinda guy, I can’t figure this out

ThatGuyOvrThr

Total Posts:  2

OK, normally, I just straight code stuff, I don’t use dream weaver or anything like that, I will maybe find something I like when it comes to a template and then rip it apart and recode the entire thing to fit my needs.

I have a client that has been a rather large pain in my butt, as they have an artist and Graphic Designer who has enjoyed trying to get me to make the Earth flat and the Sun to revolve around it, as well as trying to make sure that 2+2=5 (basically trying to have me do the impossible when it comes to coding a site to match her art. I have done the best I can with the site, and they are happy, but now they want the e-commerce aspect to fit the same idea.

I’m not used to using any type of CMS or ather tools for programming, I chose Magento because it looked like it would be the easiest to customize, however, I can’t get my head around some of it. I know the design guide said to try and forget what you know, but I’m having trouble.

I have a basic template that they want me to use, right now it is a style sheet with a php page. I’m stuck as to how to get this to translate into the E-commerce aspect. I mean I can have this page just be straight coding, but when it comes to shopping carts and all that, I just don’t know how to make it work.

Basically, I’m a little lost, and their budget is so small that I can’t outsource any of this, and I can’t sign up for the premium version of Magento for support.

Well here is the actual site, so you can get an idea of the feel they are going for
http://www.girl360.net/flashindex.php

Here is the template for the shop I have set up (the graphics are really just place holders until the artist gets me the correct ones, but this is the layout they want, and they want this to translate to the other pages associated with the shop)
http://www.girl360.net/shoptest/products.php

Thanks for any help you can give, I’m stuck and I hate not being able to figure this out, it’s driving me a bit crazy, and I feel it it just something small and stupid that I am overlooking and that is making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ThatGuyOvrThr

Total Posts:  2

So no one wants to respond? Is my question that ridiculously simple to solve, that no one thinks it is worthy of a reply, or is it the exact opposite?

Magento Community
Magento Community

april_b

Total Posts:  3

The only advise I can give you is to setup a demo site of magento and play with it until you learn how to modify it.  Start with the easy stuff like the css files and images.  Then you’ll have to modify the layout and theme pages to your needs.  The boards here are very helpful and looking at your sample layout there are a few extensions that would probably help you (vertical navigation is the first that comes to mind).  Best of luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community