Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

NZ Hosting for Magento

phlux0r

Total Posts:  73
Auckland, New Zealand

We are hosting our client’s site with NZ based Sitehost.

It’s a quad core 8G RAM 250G HDD setup and we have excellent load times and response times both nationally and internationally. The staff is knowledgeable and quick to respond and has experience with Magento installations. They will tune and tweak your server for best performance.

However, this type of hosting is for people who know their way around the Linux command line as there is no web interface. I suspect, they can install a hosting panel such as WHM or Plesk or cPanel but that will eat into your server resources. If you want a fast, lean and mean setup, and know what you’re doing, this is definitely the way to go.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DanDaMan

Total Posts:  14

I’ve been using SiteHost for over 5 years to manage my servers in germany and the UK.  One Magento website has over 2000 products and runs at a blistering pace even with other high traffic sites on the server. Have a look at the speed at this - Jewellery Store

Support is excellent - do these guys ever sleep? If you need a server, virtual server or first class server management anywhere in the world I would recommend you try them. They live, eat and breath servers and offer personal service and genuine care which is hard to find these days.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kammalou

Total Posts:  285
Denmark

Here is a list of Magento Hosting Providers around the world.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Unify

Total Posts:  8

Outside of Sitehost, are there any other Magento hosts in NZ that people have been happy with?  Do you have any links to in-country sites you can share?

The official magento list does not have any located directly in NZ.  Sounds like out-of-nation traffic is significantly limited and sites for an NZ audience really need to be hosted within the country.

We would really like to find a higher-end shared plan like Critical, PROContractors and Sonassi offer, or a lower-end manged VPS so our NZ based clients don’t need to learn server administration smile

Thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kammalou

Denmark

Not that it would help you that much. - But we do in fact have magento hosting clients in Australia.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Unify

Euklid - 19 May 2010 10:51 AM

Not that it would help you that much. - But we do in fact have magento hosting clients in Australia.

Thanks Nils.  Unfortunately if you don’t have servers sitting inside New Zealand the bandwidth to those sites will be throttled coming into the country and the performance hit is going to be much more of a problem.  It is a problem specific to in-country vs out-of-country NZ traffic.

Do you have any relationships with NZ hosts that you might suggest?

Magento Community
Magento Community

phlux0r

Auckland, New Zealand

Unify - 19 May 2010 10:16 AM

Outside of Sitehost, are there any other Magento hosts in NZ that people have been happy with?  Do you have any links to in-country sites you can share?

The official magento list does not have any located directly in NZ.  Sounds like out-of-nation traffic is significantly limited and sites for an NZ audience really need to be hosted within the country.

We would really like to find a higher-end shared plan like Critical, PROContractors and Sonassi offer, or a lower-end manged VPS so our NZ based clients don’t need to learn server administration smile

SiteHost offer VPS plans and you can always choose a managed option for $100 per month extra with their dedicated and VPS offers.

You have also iServe who now offer cloud servers as well as dedicated and VPS servers with their Zealous support.

It might pay to check out OpenHost too as they offer VPS hosting.

Still, it’s hard to beat SiteHost pricing and their response time.

HTH

Magento Community
Magento Community

Unify

phlux0r - 19 May 2010 11:43 AM

SiteHost offer VPS plans and you can always choose a managed option for $100 per month extra with their dedicated and VPS offers.

Have you used the VPS plans for any of your sites or just the Dedicated?  I am wondering what kind of memory we might need on their VPS to have decent performance of Magento?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kammalou

Denmark

Unify - 19 May 2010 11:01 AM

Euklid - 19 May 2010 10:51 AM

Thanks Nils.  Unfortunately if you don’t have servers sitting inside New Zealand the bandwidth to those sites will be throttled coming into the country and the performance hit is going to be much more of a problem.  It is a problem specific to in-country vs out-of-country NZ traffic.

Do you have any relationships with NZ hosts that you might suggest?

I See. - It makes sense to have solutions in country.

So basically if we were to address your market. We would need in-country hardware.
Then we are back to the issues related to off hours service in regards to the “on-the-other-side-of-the-earth” issue. grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

phlux0r

Auckland, New Zealand

Unify - 19 May 2010 11:58 AM

Have you used the VPS plans for any of your sites or just the Dedicated?  I am wondering what kind of memory we might need on their VPS to have decent performance of Magento?

I’m using a 512M VPS to host some of our client’s small, low traffic (mostly WordPress) sites with cPanel on CentOS and am quite pleased with the performance. For a low=medium traffic Magento site I’d go for min 1G or better yet, 2G RAM VPS, apply the MySQL optimisation recommendations, install APC and enable Magento cache, minify js and enable gzip.

Best to ring up Sitehost and talk to them about your needs as they host a number of Magento sites and will be able to give you advice.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tin_soldier

Total Posts:  26

Just thought I’d throw in my two pence worth.

I have 3 Magento sites running on Ramsu which is a small NZ webhost with excellent email support and reliability.

I believe their servers are based at Sitehost so they are a great option if you don’t want to administer a VPS etc.

They have reseller plans and their rates are very good.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dawsonbeaker

Total Posts:  1

i’m using a dedicated server from hostgator that comes pre installed with a cpanel and is super quick for my magento install
you can see my jewellery store working here, ive got loads of categories like necklaces, beads and charms etc and thousands of products and have no issues

Magento Community
Magento Community

oleole1999

Total Posts:  3

I am looking at using Magento and being based in Auckland this looks like a good hosting company.
I need to make my mind up between this and Zencart, Magento looks like it is winning though.

Lovelinks Charms

Magento Community
Magento Community

stratoship2999

Total Posts:  4

Nexcess has been great for hosting, really fast dedicated support and the bandwidth is great.  Dedicated server is really fast. It’s only email support but that is more than sufficient as they respond alarmingly quick, usually within an hour.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Magestore
Mentor

Total Posts:  1015
Viet Nam

Nexcess and SiteGround and Hostgator hosting are very well optimized for Magento, especially Nexcess. We’ve carried out many projects on Nexcess and load speed of these sites are just awesome
We recommend you to use VPS plan of these providers, it will ensure that your hosting does not run out of RAM, CPU…
Btw, you may take a look at this top 5 Magento hosting review, with our years of experience in Magento, we can see that the information in the review is quite helpful although there’re some missing points about Nexcess and Hostgator.
http://magentotutorial.net/best-magento-hosting/
Hope this helps

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community