Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Vendors as Categories (I will pay someone who can do it)

Tomas Kapler

Total Posts:  14

I need to define for each product a vendor. But not as a parameter, but more like category with only one exception that you can have only one vendor per product. So I need

1. vendor page ("category" page) with list of products of that vendor
2. vendor/category page - list of product of one category of one vendor
3. ability to define special parameters for the vendors, .e.g.
a) description
b) URL of the vendor homepage
c) Long title
d) Short title
e) seo-title (used in addresses, see bellow)
f) return conditions, etc.
4. ability to use the vendor seo-title in addresses (e.g. product adress could be example.com/vendor/category/product-name ...)

I can pay someone who will do this for me, It can be even long term cooperation as I have more such feature requests (but this is probably the hardest) but i do not know magento so deep to do it myself.

Please contact me on

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

You can do pretty much everything you need out of the box with Magento.

1. vendor page ("category" page) with list of products of that vendor

Make a “vendor” attribute for each product and turn on layered navigation.  This will give you a “shop by” listing that can narrow down products by any attribute.

2. vendor/category page - list of product of one category of one vendor

Regular category management plus the layered navigation

3. ability to define special parameters for the vendors, .e.g.
a) description
b) URL of the vendor homepage
c) Long title
d) Short title
e) seo-title (used in addresses, see bellow)
f) return conditions, etc.

You can add as many attributes to an attribute set as you want.  There wouldn’t be a centralized “vendor management” screen.  But, by using the mass updater grid, you can search for products of a particular vendor and select them all and change all the attributes at once.

4. ability to use the vendor seo-title in addresses (e.g. product adress could be example.com/vendor/category/product-name ...)

You can define any SEO keywords for any product anyway you want.  It would not have slashes, it would be all dashes like:

/category/sub-category/product-seo-words.html

It won’t have a fancy module, but that shouldn’t be a roadblock to setting up your store.  Fancy modules to help manage this stuff are a lot easier for a developer to write if there’s already a demonstrated behavior.  In fact, I wouldn’t even know what type of module to write, since all the features you want are included by default.  Sounds like you’re interested in highly specific views of this data (which you didn’t really post about).  If you need anything else, keep posting…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community