Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Are Sales Tax Rules Tracking IP Address? 

DavidBeaver

Total Posts:  14

Hi Everyone,

I have set up my sales tax rule for the state I live in. The sales tax is being calculated and added as it is supposed to.

The question I have though has to do with the sales tax automatically being added to the total as soon as I am at the first window of the checkout process. Is the sales tax being added automatically because Magento is tracking my IP address and sees that I am in the state where the sales tax rule is being applied?

My concern has to do with someone from another state who wants to purchase and if they are going to see sales tax being added automatically at the beginning?

Based on my testing the sales tax is either added to the total or taken back out depending on whether the test purchase address I use is in my state or a different state.

ie: I am in Virginia. As soon as I add an item to my cart the sales tax is added but then if I input a billing & shipping address from California then the sales tax is subtracted back out at the end of checkout and that is why I am wondering what a customer sees on the front end as they add a product to their cart??

Thanks for your feedback!

David

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DavidBeaver

OK, I just had a friend from another state add a product to their shopping cart and it seems like Virginia Sales Tax is being added automatically no matter what state you live in and then it is subtracted out at the end.

How do I keep this from happening? Shouldn’t the sales tax only be added after the address has been input and Magento see’s that the customer is from Virginia?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

David

Magento Community
Magento Community

DirectLowVoltage

Total Posts:  30

OK, I thought this was an issue too… Probably lost a lot of sales from people getting to the cart page and seeing the total jump up by a tax amount they don’t need to pay…

I’m pretty sure I solved this…

Login to admin..
Under Configuration / Sales / Tax / Default Tax Origin Calculation

Change to something like California 90210…

At first I thought, It wouldn’t work but as long as under

Configuration / Sales / Shipping Settings / Origin
you have your correct address details.. under the cart page it doesn’t show tax until you put in a same state zipcode and request a quote..

Let me know if you find any problems with this…

Magento Community
Magento Community

DavidBeaver

Thanks for your reply!

I had gone back into the admin section and took another look around and realized I had set Virginia as a default state for tax. :(

Admin-Configuration-Tax-Default Tax Origin Calculation

I changed the Default State back to “-” and I deleted the Default Post Code . Problem eliminated. I had initially thought I needed to fill that out without truly understanding what I was doing.

Live and learn!

Thanks Again!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community