Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

left column category navigation

dhoover

Total Posts:  27

New to magento… I think it is great… wish there were more documentation.

I am working with version 1.2.1.1 and want to build an online store that is not that much different than the included demo. So I figured it was much easier to just create a copy and troll around trying to figure things out (I have been reading whatever I can find on the subject). I would like to replace the top navigation for categories with a vertical list of categories like seen in many online stores.

I located template/catalog/navigation/left.phtml which seems like it might be designed for that purpose.

What do I need to do to put category navigation vertically in the left column rather than horizontally at the top?

Thanks!
Dean

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

dhoover - 03 March 2009 04:48 AM

New to magento… I think it is great… wish there were more documentation.

I am working with version 1.2.1.1 and want to build an online store that is not that much different than the included demo. So I figured it was much easier to just create a copy and troll around trying to figure things out (I have been reading whatever I can find on the subject). I would like to replace the top navigation for categories with a vertical list of categories like seen in many online stores.

I located template/catalog/navigation/left.phtml which seems like it might be designed for that purpose.

What do I need to do to put category navigation vertically in the left column rather than horizontally at the top?

Thanks!
Dean

The simplest thing you can do is download and install a different design package from the community and then modify that for your purposes. Try this: http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/763/vertical-navigation-with-css-classes

Magento Community
Magento Community

dhoover

Total Posts:  27

James,

Thanks for the reply. I am an experienced programmer, I’ve read as much as I could here and trolled around in the default code. They could use more doc around here. I installed that extension, it turns off the top nav but how do I get it to appear in the left column? Only been at it a few days and I understand the concepts but not how it all hangs together.

Thanks.
Dean

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community