Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Buy X Get Y Free

mikeinspain

Total Posts:  108
Alicante, Spain

Hi

Not sure where to ask, as the community response seems to be a lackluster at the best of times.

I need to create a catalog/shopping cart rule that allows the buyer to purchase items from the store where if they purchase 4 items that are the same they got 1 free.

I understand how to setup a buy 1 get 1 free rule, but it only applies to a specific group, product, category or any other attribute.

Can this be done?  I have been wracking my brains out with this and am really desperate to find a solution.

Any help would be appreciated..

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

Which version are you trying this on? Ver Magento ver. 1.2.1 seems to have this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikeinspain

Total Posts:  108
Alicante, Spain

srinigenie - 03 March 2009 01:20 AM

Which version are you trying this on? Ver Magento ver. 1.2.1 seems to have this.

Hi I’m running version 1.2.0.1..

I see the option to set up buy 1 get 1 free rule, but it you have to specify certain conditions such as sku, category or other attributes.

All I want to do is allow the customer to purchase any product and if they take 4 of them then they will get 1 extra free.  This has to be applied site wide to all products, but the rule only comes in to force when they order at least of individual product.

Hope that makes more sense… ?  grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

The customer has to add it to their cart. It does not get added automatically even if you set the rule up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevecontact

Total Posts:  10

I am also having the same problem. The Buy X get Y free only applies if X and Y are both the same product. I need to allow customers to have any 2 products for free.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Has anyone figured out a way to do this? My problem is I’m using custom options so that customers can select their size (on a t-shirt for example) but it sees each line on the cart as it’s own entity, so ... if they don’t have 288 of the same size entered, it won’t apply.

Magento Community
Magento Community

matthewdolman

Total Posts:  6

Surely this can’t be that difficult to do, even if it was just a case of changing the price of the cheapest x number of items to zero when y number of items are purchased in total.

I would be willing to put a bit of cash to an open source fix for this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Marcin85

Total Posts:  48
Worcester

Any updates on that topic?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

May be the Get Cheapest Free extension can help for someone?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

My ext will do all of the above, I am even working on checking custom options in the flat_quote table

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/89827/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ivan Milanez

Total Posts:  17
Mexico City

I’m trying to implement something similar to this, I want to sell subscriptions in my store, and when you buy the subscription I want to give you N amount of products from my store, but so that you can select the items you want.

Anyone have a solution to this?

TIA

Ivan

Magento Community
Magento Community

zero1

Total Posts:  11
Buxton, UK

stevecontact - 13 April 2009 08:56 PM

I am also having the same problem. The Buy X get Y free only applies if X and Y are both the same product. I need to allow customers to have any 2 products for free.

We have an extension which will allow Buy X get Y free where X can be any set of products defined in the promotion rule (in a category, matching a brand etc etc), and Y is the cheapest of these products.

You can do these and many more;
• BOGOF
• Buy X get the cheapest Free
• Buy X get the cheapest half price (or any set discount percentage)

The extension is called Buy X Get the Cheapest FREE

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community