Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

About getMessagesBlock and “messages” in Magento

Peppermay

Total Posts:  111
Lille, France

Hello wide world !

A little question about Magento messages and their possible use in a template page via the getMessagesBlock method: what is the purpose of these “messages” ? what are they supposed to be ? what kind of information do they provide about the application or the user ?
I haven’t found a clue on the web, despite many google calls. The few ones who are writing about them seem to be perfectly aware of their usefulness, but don’t explain very much about them…

Could anybody throw me a lifebelt ?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

If I understand you, that messages works when you need a confirmation or another message. For example, the status of your newsletter suscription after your enter your email address.

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

Peppermay

Lille, France

Good morning Damiàn and many thanks for your attention.
Well… You mean that these messages are triggered by Magento core in answer to user actions ? But is it possible for me, very humble coder, to act on these messages (modify, cancel or add some ones) ? Through Magento listeners I guess ?
And then, how are thse messages “managed” on the front-end ? Taking back your newsletter subscription example, I guess that the HTML page has to be reloaded in order for this message to be displayed ?
Well, I think I’m drowning a bit…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I supouse that you can make a rewrite of the class and change that method to do wht you need to-do.
I didn’t try that customization, but it’s looks possible to me.

--
Damián

Magento Community
Magento Community

Peppermay

Lille, France

Well, thank you again Damiàn !
This sounds like many others hours to work…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community