Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Automatic Product Attributes. 

consultre

Total Posts:  4

Hello,

It would be fantastic to see a configurable product that can create sub- simple products. Case:

1. User creates Configurable Product
2. User Inputs all data such as sku, desc, images etc
3. User then creates the attributes such as Color and Size.
4. Based on the attributes inputed, the program will then autogenerate or allow for manual creation of simple products based on the information
already inputed in step #2. The sku should be modifiable after creation.

Volusion uses this process, prostores also has a simpler version of it. I think magento is the best open source cart at the moment after my long and search for a self hosted cart that is capability of custom attributes, this feature above would make it 100% ready for large scale companies.

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Total Posts:  103

I think you’ll find this is already in the works.  See Roys response in this thread - http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/3132

Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community

consultre

Fantastic, Magento is such a great cart design and I just did not want them to miss this commonly mistaken feature. Great work, I look forward to seeing this feature very soon. Ill have to find the donate button somewhere on this site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shrike71

Total Posts:  5

I think one of the simplest ways of achieving this is to use “front-end" only attributes. Like in a manufacturing scenario, where the orderline actually describes a “job card” for the product. I think if the product selected for ordering is able to clearly display the selection of attributes in the order(or order line) this would be ideal for shops that require final configuration of any orderable product, such as customised artwork, manufacturing, monogramming, etc. Anybody else agree?

Magento Community
Magento Community

consultre

The attribute description line is a good feature to have and should be inheritably included for all shopping carts (which it mostly is) where there are no sku#’s for the attributes being used. However, the big problem with this, is most carts are designed with this only and they forget to realize the fact that no programs like quickbooks or fishbowl or any offline program where the end user will eventually key in their order for inventory management will have a way to recognize the part being ordered. In quickbooks or similar systems there must be a unique sku# for each product that exist. In a warehouse if you have a red shirt you will have a box of inventory that is red shirts with a unique value set to it, this is because we cannot expect pickers and packers to pick items based on a description (thats a huge mess), when its by item # and every box in the warehouse has a item# there is a very low error rate.

Ideally, magento should include the sku# of the unique item and its corresponding product line attribute description on order checkout for the customer. This way if the customer contacts the estore regarding a product, there is no ambiguity of which product is being discussed because it is a specific sku# and not a customer trying to describe a product attribute and the customer service not knowing what the product in question is. So final version of magento would be great if it had on order backend and frontend:

FrontEnd:
On Checkout or on Product page Sku# of the actual attribute when the attribute has been selected. I.e. if I select tshirt01 red xxl i will see on the SKU# of the current product page Sku# TS01-RED-XXL rather than the base product which might just be Sku#TS01

BackEnd:
Autogeneration of simple products as discussed in the thread that was replied to in this thread.

Magento Community
Magento Community

downhom

Total Posts:  6
Boise, Idaho

We have software called the Fishbowl EZ Connector that supports attributes with Magento.  The product is entered in Fishbowl using custom fields to identify the options.  When the EZ Connector wakes up and syncronizes the products, it automatically creates a simple and configurable product supporting the attributes with the proper SKU assigned to each attribute set.  When the product is ordered, the EZ Connector downloads the order using the proper SKU based on the attributes the customer selected. 

You can see more details and a demo video for Magento at fishbowlezconnector.com

Duane,
Senior Developer
DH Consulting
Makers of the Fishbowl EZ Connector

Magento Community
Magento Community

l2andp

Total Posts:  18

We hired DH Consulting last year to implement their EZ Connector to import orders from our shopping cart into Fishbowl. Six months later, EZ Connector is still not operational, and it remains doubtful that DH Consulting will stand behind their product even to bare bones functionality. My IT manager has called them nearly every day for the last four months, and we receive nothing but empty promises and evasiveness. Yesterday their VP of Sales and Marketing Gary Welch told my IT guy that we had no reason to complain because without him we’d be entering orders manually… which we still have to do, ironically.

I’m sure we’ve all seen bad apples in development, but I have never seen such deplorable service from a company. We called Fishbowl and found that other companies have had similar experiences; DH Consulting has since been removed from their list of recommended vendors. Do not go anywhere near this company.

Nathan Sleadd

President | ZipLineGear.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

Hello,

Please check out the following extensions that should help you to solve your problem with configurable products.

AITOC Product Matrix enables admin to create and edit configurable products with TWO attributes in a convenient matrix form, where admin can specify configuration for each simple associated product. It creates a matrix where admin can specify simple associated product’s configuration: name, price, SKU, weight, availability, quantity, visibility and status.

If you need to work with configurable products with ANY number of attributes please check out AITOC Configurable Products Pro extension.

These are the must-have extensions that will save you a lot of time and effort. You can play around with the demo to get a better idea on how it works.

Thank you,

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community