Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento as an affiliate site

bullbreed72

Total Posts:  5

Hello everyone

I’ve looked for two days about this topic and thought there would be a lot more info but it doesn’t appear so.

I wanted to use Magento as an affiliate store where I upload a product datafeed (XML or CSV) supplied by Affiliate Window. This feed would contain the products from various affiliate merchants. The import would bring in all the products in the datafeed. Then the ADD TO CART button would need to be replaced with a BUY NOW button that would link out from a specific product to the same product on the merchants website.

I’m sure this is possible with Magento because it is such an awesome system but I was wondering if anyone has experience of this.

Thanks in advance

M.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

linhmage

Total Posts:  60

I think your requirements is too special then you should find a good guy to implement this funcitonality for you. It shouldn’t take much time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bullbreed72

Total Posts:  5

VanquishTech - 13 April 2013 11:47 AM

Yes you can however the statement, it shouldn’t take too long, is unfortunately a very large understatement. Once you load in the 100s thousands of products you will have serious issues, load performance, data cleansing, hosting performance, number of stores, currency issues. If you want to compete with someone like ShopStyle who have 80 employees, 2million odd products and spent many years developing their system then you will be in for a shock, especially considering affiliate data is so poor, lack of categories, bad product names, brand name inconsistency, missing attributes, constant product removals, missing images.

You can look at our blog on some of the recent issues we have come across, these are becoming more frequent. We developed our Industry Solution for Affiliates which can also run on Magento, but it is mid-market/enterprise level to process 100s thousands to millions of products per day with 50-90% less staff based on our enterprise experience, so not suitable for small business scenarios.

If you just want a niche site up to 10-25,000 products (small business) we can give you copies of our Magento excel scripts which will convert the feeds in to Magento friendly format for import manually. If you want an automated solution up to 250,000 products (mid-market) be prepared for a steep learning curve and time unless you have experience already, if you want enterprise levels being 250,000+ products then you need to have worked on these projects before in enterprise environments. It really is that simple.

Hello

Thats fantastic info. Thank you.

I’m only looking to stock around 100 products max. The datafeed from Affiliate Window is a little confusing and I would need to set up my affiliate code to be used in the magento URL for tracking purposes. Your Magento excel scripts sound very interesting and would be very much appreciated.

Regards

M

Magento Community
Magento Community

aheadWorks
Guru

Total Posts:  424

Have a look at the Magento Affiliate extension.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Martinly

Total Posts:  90

Affiliate+ of Magestore is also seen as a method for you
http://magentoaffiliate.net/
http://magentoaffiliateextension.com/

Magento Community
Magento Community

iamstyleicon

Total Posts:  1

bullbreed72 - 23 April 2013 04:10 AM

VanquishTech - 13 April 2013 11:47 AM
Yes you can however the statement, it shouldn’t take too long, is unfortunately a very large understatement. Once you load in the 100s thousands of products you will have serious issues, load performance, data cleansing, hosting performance, number of stores, currency issues. If you want to compete with someone like ShopStyle who have 80 employees, 2million odd products and spent many years developing their system then you will be in for a shock, especially considering affiliate data is so poor, lack of categories, bad product names, brand name inconsistency, missing attributes, constant product removals, missing images.

You can look at our blog on some of the recent issues we have come across, these are becoming more frequent. We developed our Industry Solution for Affiliates which can also run on Magento, but it is mid-market/enterprise level to process 100s thousands to millions of products per day with 50-90% less staff based on our enterprise experience, so not suitable for small business scenarios.

If you just want a niche site up to 10-25,000 products (small business) we can give you copies of our Magento excel scripts which will convert the feeds in to Magento friendly format for import manually. If you want an automated solution up to 250,000 products (mid-market) be prepared for a steep learning curve and time unless you have experience already, if you want enterprise levels being 250,000+ products then you need to have worked on these projects before in enterprise environments. It really is that simple.

Hello

Thats fantastic info. Thank you.

I’m only looking to stock around 100 products max. The datafeed from Affiliate Window is a little confusing and I would need to set up my affiliate code to be used in the magento URL for tracking purposes. Your Magento excel scripts sound very interesting and would be very much appreciated.

Regards

M

Do you guys still have the Excel scripts?

Would be great as I have been searching to see developments on this particular issue.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

Magento is not designed for an affiliate site, you can but it is stupidly complex, we have seen a couple of sites with 100s thousands products based on a managed platform. It is the data loading that is the primary problem coupled with the performance, you need to have the most highly efficient optimised hosting, with 7-10% fees there is little margin for error and when dealing with 100s thousands to millions of products along with processing and constant data loads of the same makes it very very difficult.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZbyszekTomek

Total Posts:  121

Magento can be extended with affiliate options like with others.
Here are 2 the best of Affiliate plugins
Affilaite Platinum Plus + dozen of plugins for any occassion
tier affiliates/ coupons/ banners /
Simple version Affiliate Plus Standard

and second option:
Affiliate Pro

Zbych

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community