Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How can I get ‘Featured proucts’ on the home page to work with a custom theme? 

Iron Mike

Total Posts:  16

I’ve got a custom theme for my site, and it’s got a set up that pulls in the ‘Featured Products’ from the database to display on the home page.  This works fine if I use this straight in the main default template. Of course, because I want to (and should) keep my template separate from the standard ones, I want to have this in my own template structure.

When I’m working from the standard template, it’s fine. The section displays correctly and everything is great.  When I remove the files from the default template (because they don’t need to be there) and switch the design package to my custom template in the admin system it crashes the home page. Not through any problem with the coding or the system, but it tries to call my template code

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="7" template="catalog/product/homepage-feature.php"}}
I get the error
WarningMage_Core_Block_Template::include(/var/www/html/shop2/app/design/frontend/[b]default[/b]/default/template/catalog/product/homepage-feature.php[function.Mage-Core-Block-Template-include]failed to open streamNo such file or directory  in /var/www/html/shop2/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 144
I’m not sure what’s going on with this as it shouldn’t be calling the template from the default folder, should it??  As I said, I’ve set it to use my custom theme, but it’s not doing that from this area. Or does everything have to be added into the default template before it will work with anything else???

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

LostDocs7

Total Posts:  31

Make sure you have “catalog/product/homepage-feature.php” file in your custom theme.

It tries to find it in your custom design folder first, then if it fails it goes to default theme and fails too as you removed this file. So you get this error.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Iron Mike

Total Posts:  16

LostDocs7 - 03 March 2009 02:28 PM

Make sure you have “catalog/product/homepage-feature.php” file in your custom theme

That’s exactly where the file is.  The problem is not with that.  The problem is that the system is trying to call it from the default theme first, even though it’s defined in the custom theme, the file is in the correct place and the custom theme is set on the store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LostDocs7

Total Posts:  31

Is your store online? It it possible to look at it?

Please recheck design settings (where you applied custom theme). Make sure you applied for entire store and there is no any exceptions.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community