Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Category Grid View help

stanb17

Total Posts:  34

After a few weeks on the forums I have still not found a solution to my issue.

I would like to move my grid left then widen it to fill the available space.
Magento ver. 1.7.0.2
ma_store theme

Here’s an example page… http://www.discountguitarparts.com/index.php/accessories.html

I know how to control the width of the products within the grid. I’m just having trouble controlling the product grid itself. Seems silly but I feel like I’ve tried a dozen approaches without success.

As always… any help is greatly appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

stanb17

Thanks David. I found the XML file and the section you reference. the action method section seems to support multiple grid modes.

----------------
<!--
Category layered navigation layout
-->

<catalog_category_layered translate="label">
<label>Catalog Category (Anchor)</label>
<reference name="left">
<block type="catalog/layer_view" name="catalog.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/layer/view.phtml"/>
<block type="catalog/layer_view" name="catalog.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/layer/ layeredview.phtml “/>
</reference>
<reference name="content">
<block type="catalog/category_view" name="category.products" template="catalog/category/view.phtml">
<block type="catalog/product_list" name="product_list" template="catalog/product/list.phtml">
<!-- <action method="addReviewSummaryTemplate"><type>default</type><template>review/helper/su.phtml</template></action> -->
<block type="catalog/product_list_toolbar" name="product_list_toolbar" template="catalog/product/list/toolbar.phtml">
<block type="page/html_pager" name="product_list_toolbar_pager"/>
<!-- The following code shows how to set your own pager increments -->
<!--
<action method="setDefaultListPerPage"><limit>4</limit></action>
<action method="setDefaultGridPerPage"><limit>3</limit></action>
<action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>list</mode><limit>2</limit></action>
<action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>list</mode><limit>4</limit></action>
<action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>list</mode><limit>6</limit></action>
<action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>list</mode><limit>8</limit></action>
<action method="addPagerLimit" translate="label"><mode>list</mode><limit>all</limit><label>All</label></action>
<action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>grid</mode><limit>3</limit></action>
<action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>grid</mode><limit>6</limit></action>
<action method="addPagerLimit"><mode>grid</mode><limit>9</limit></action>
<action method="addPagerLimit" translate="label"><mode>grid</mode><limit>all</limit><label>All</label></action>
-->
</block>
<action method="addColumnCountLayoutDepend"><layout>empty</layout><count>6</count></action>
<action method="addColumnCountLayoutDepend"><layout>one_column</layout><count>5</count></action>
<action method="addColumnCountLayoutDepend"><layout>two_columns_left</layout><count>4</count></action>
<action method="addColumnCountLayoutDepend"><layout>two_columns_right</layout><count>4</count></action>
<action method="addColumnCountLayoutDepend"><layout>three_columns</layout><count>3</count></action>
<action method="setToolbarBlockName"><name>product_list_toolbar</name></action>
</block>
</block>
</reference>
</catalog_category_layered>
----------------------------

Is there a line in this I need to change? The only other reference to root is here and it is already set to two columns..

<catalog_product_view translate="label">
<label>Catalog Product View (Any)</label>
<!-- Mage_Catalog -->
<reference name="root">
<action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-right.phtml</template></action>
</reference>

This could all be related to a caffeine deficiency.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stanb17

That’s not what I’m looking for. I want to have the category view occupy the available space. There’s too much dead space to the left of the grid.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stanb17

I have successfully crammed 4 products into the grid by altering the styles-blue-yellow.css for my particular theme. I changed the default width from 138 to 123px.

/* View Type: Grid */
.products-grid { position:relative; }
.products-grid.last { border-bottom:0; }
.products-grid li.item { float:left; width:123px; padding:10px 5px 20px; border-right:1px solid #d7d7d7; text-align: center; }

Now the problem is that the entire grid itself is not taking advantage of the space available.
http://www.discountguitarparts.com/index.php/hardware/tuners-machine-heads.html?p=2

I’d like for it to occupy the same space as the product view does.
http://www.discountguitarparts.com/index.php/hardware/tuners-machine-heads/6pc-gold-tombstone-style-3l-3r-sealed-gear-tuners.html

Inspecting the element tells me where to look, but making changes does not alter the table/grid at all. Is my coffee too weak? Am I missing some part of the clue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kmHelms

Total Posts:  227

Hi. Checked your link and I still see an empty left column in your code, so you must have the 3 columns set somewhere in your xml still. If you are certain you have changed all the references to 3 column, have you flushed your cache?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community