Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
[SOLVED] Admin redirecting to homepage after upgrade

AppSol

Total Posts:  7

I was having the same issue with /admin redirecting back to the home page after moving the Magento site from a test server to a live server. I couldn’t find the entry in core_config_data referred to above, but once I reset my file permissions following this advice http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/resetting_file_permissions I could reach the login page fine.
Hope this helps someone.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

floreadm

Total Posts:  8
Bucharest, Romania

This is the real solution. Test, Working.
Thanks Kara

kara - 12 March 2009 02:11 PM

By “homepage” do you mean the homepage of your front end website?  If so, I had that happen to me after I moved a database from my dev server to my production server.  All I had to do was go into the database and update web/unsecure/base_link_url and web/secure/base_link_url in the table core_config_data to that of my production URL.  Then delete the contents of the directories var/cache and var/sessions.

Don’t know if that’s what you’re experiencing, but for what it’s worth, it’s something else to look at.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mayurbhayani

Total Posts:  3

Thank you welanieinc your solution works gr8!!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

dagostinelli

Total Posts:  1

Hey Guys. I’m having the same problem, some combination of those solutions does work, but they are dubious.  I think the root cause is something more complex. 

What do I mean:

Setting the redirect to base - this is for redirecting a site like coolsite.com to www.coolsite.com so that your external links and SEO come up right.  Using it for these other things is hiding the real issue.

Adding the store code to the url - this is really for debugging purposes.  It’s useful when you have multiple stores that look the same, but act a little different. Using it for url rewriting problems is not really the goal. 

chmod 777 on every file - Ugh.  Security hole. Enough said. 

Making files other than session and cache writable—security hole

Dumping the entire magento core into the root of your website - This is a violation of the S in the SOLID principles.  (Violation of “separation of concerns")

All of the above might work, but it’s not elegant or clean or really “correct” in the sense that it upholds good practices of programming or system administration.

I hope that the Magento team or some keen plugin-providers will find a way to help us better diagnose our problems before we resort to these work-arounds.  One example is a self-diagnotic script that analyzes folder permissions and tells us what should be what.  Wordpress does this via plugins for instance.

Anyhow, I got here because I have this problem myself (/admin redirecting to root url) and I was looking for a solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

marianejohnson

Thanks for advices… ))) solved)))))

Magento Community
Magento Community

SillySotong

floreadm - 07 June 2011 03:33 PM

This is the real solution. Test, Working.
Thanks Kara

kara - 12 March 2009 02:11 PM
By “homepage” do you mean the homepage of your front end website?  If so, I had that happen to me after I moved a database from my dev server to my production server.  All I had to do was go into the database and update web/unsecure/base_link_url and web/secure/base_link_url in the table core_config_data to that of my production URL.  Then delete the contents of the directories var/cache and var/sessions.

Don’t know if that’s what you’re experiencing, but for what it’s worth, it’s something else to look at.

Hi, May I know what is “my production URL”? I need it urgently, please help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

SillySotong

I am using phpMyAdmin. May I know where can I find the directories var/cache and var/sessions?

Please assist, I need it ASAP. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

alucard001

Total Posts:  2

SillySotong - 14 May 2014 02:08 AM

I am using phpMyAdmin. May I know where can I find the directories var/cache and var/sessions?

Please assist, I need it ASAP. smile

No it is not in phpMyAdmin.  What it means is to go to <magento_installation_dir>/var/cache and <magento_installation_dir>/var/session folders.

You can use any FTP program to access your installation and find those directories,

Then, delete everything inside.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2