Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Store and store view ? 

kohril

Total Posts:  44
Lille, northernFrance

In latest release, 0.8.16100, under system/Manage Stores menu, it is possible to create websites, stores and store views.

I don’t really understand the difference between a store and a store view. Could someone help me please ?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

kohril - 14 February 2008 04:53 AM

In latest release, 0.8.16100, under system/Manage Stores menu, it is possible to create websites, stores and store views.

I don’t really understand the difference between a store and a store view. Could someone help me please ?

Hi, if I understand what you are inquiring about, it is a bit confusing at first, but a good idea for many.  There is what is called the default store, think of it as sort of the Master Store. This is where all things are configured.  In addition you then have your actual store , or stores, which is the reason for it as I undestand it.  You may want a store in German, one in French etc So you can configure things for each store differently.  The key thing, and a mistake Ihave made several times bu tthink I finally got it, is when you are adding proudcts etc, to make sure you have English Store selected, this is the one that is tthe front end, what is seen on the site.  Hope that helps some, I am sure others can give a bettermore thorough explanation, as I am still a lititle uncertain about the whole thing, but since nobody has answered yet, I thought I’d try to shed some light on it.

Its a very good feature, just if you have only one store, you have to make sure you are in that store when you are adding your products etc.  I think I am still a little confused myself on exactly what the ‘default store’ is but have learened to make sure I am in English Store.  You can also change the name of English Store to your site or whatever you want, which helps eliminate some of the confusion.  Hope that helps, if not, elaborate more on your questions and somebody can help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kohril

Total Posts:  44
Lille, northernFrance

Thanks you very much Anna, it helps a lot, even if it is a bit difficult to understand the hole concept.

If I understand what you explained before, each store is created as a “master store” and views are just a way of seeing those stores, is it right ?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community