Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Portfolio / Catalog w/ Same Category Structure

Wilson Sheldon

Total Posts:  47

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a little advice.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Basically, my client would like a portfolio and a product catalog which have many, many similarities. And both would have the exact same category structure, except the portfolio wouldn’t show the price. 

My suggestion was that we have the one category structure, and a dropdown attribute (show in portfolio, show in catalog, show in portfolio and catalog).  Items that were tagged as portfolio would be under a ‘Portfolio’ link and the same for ‘Catalog’

This seems logical to me, but am I crazy trying to do this with a system as complex as Magento?

Could anyone suggest how to persist whether the user is in Portfolio or Catalog mode.  For example, would youdo it via sessions, or URL? 

And finally, what’s the best method to add the attribute filter into the SQL?  Would you use a built-in method, perhaps by mimicking an advanced search, or would you build an entire new module?

I really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
Wilson

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

What you can do is create a second theme and include only the files you want to change, in this case the ones that have a price.
Then you can create two store views and assing the different themes to each one.
In the frontend you will need to create a link that goes to the other store view when you click in portfolio, or something like that.
If not, you can also use the standard combo box that magento uses for changing between store views.

--
Ezequiel

Magento Community
Magento Community

l781

Total Posts:  109

i think you should to have two themes (one - standart, second - with-out price showing) and two categories (one - for sealable items, second - for portfollio items).

then you should assign portfolio category to use theme without price field…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community