Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is it easy to upgrade? 

mayerwin

Total Posts:  182
France

Hello everybody,

I would like to start building a complex website using magento (including for its CMS features), but since it’s not a production version I would like to upgrade it easily when it becomes more stable.
So, could you tell me whether it is simple to either upgrade directly or to export the configuration and templates I’ll have built?

Thank you a lot for your advice,

Erwin

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

To ensure stable API after stable release we are introducing many important changes to API before the stable release, so the upgrade process might not be straightforward during versions before 1.0

That said, it doesn’t look like the file structure will change, and if you write your customizations in correct manner (not overwriting core files, but keeping them in separate modules and theme folders), the upgrade process should involve minor changes, that will be even easier when API reference will be published.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mayerwin

Total Posts:  182
France

Thank you ! I will try to do my best then, and I’m long to discover the first stable release.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community