Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Bypass Magento Connect’s automatic updates? 

Carlos Lage

Total Posts:  3

Hello,

My company is working on a custom Magento based E-Commerce solution (which we’ll deploy for our own usage) and we might be modifying some of the Magento core.

It has come to my attention that Magento Connect automatically updates the Magento Core stuff to the latest version available when you try to install any kind of extension.

This is bad since we’re probably going to modify some of the Magento core and we were considering use Subversion to deploy updates to the Magento core, and use Subersion’s conflict resolving features to figure out what to update.

Any suggestions about how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Carlos Lage

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

You should never modify the core files. Since Magento is built on an MVC framework, you can easily extend Magento with your own code.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Carlos Lage

Total Posts:  3

Crucial - 26 February 2009 10:51 PM

You should never modify the core files. Since Magento is built on an MVC framework, you can easily extend Magento with your own code.

I’m aware of that. I’m also aware that even when extending Magento’s code via a new class that replaces or extends the old one, things might still break due to an update.

We would very much like to use Subversion to manage the updates to our Magento core files and keep track of changes done by the updates.

Automagical Magento Connect updates = bad.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Are you positive that when installing an extension Magento upgrades everything else? I don’t believe this is the case, because if I install Magento without initializing the PEAR registry and installing the core modules, and then try to install, say, the blank theme, it won’t install the other things. If it did, it would say so in the output.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community