Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Adding categories / products through Admin .. but nothing displays on frontend. 

Devise

Total Posts:  10

I’m not sure if I need to add in a global navigation scheme myself or what .. but I’ve added categories / products correctly and nothing shows up on the frontend of my site.

http://s35347.gridserver.com/magento

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SeL_
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1140
Paris, France

Please try a search in the forum, this question has been answered several times yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Orange County, CA

Few things to check…

Make sure the product is Enabled, viewable in the Catalog (and search), and make sure it has a store selected.  Those are the big ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

@Devis

Check also:
1) In Admin > System>Configuration > Catalog that you have “Root Catalog” selected in the “Root Category”
2) When you edit a product make sure to select your store in the “Chose Store View” dropdown
3) Make sure that in Admin > Manage Categories your top level categories are sub categories of Root Catalog category.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoshBelke

Total Posts:  64
NY, NY

//I’m not sure if I need to add in a global navigation scheme myself or what .. but I’ve added categories / products correctly and nothing shows up on the frontend of my site.

//Check also:
//1) In Admin > System>Configuration > Catalog that you have “Root Catalog” selected in the “Root Category”
//2) When you edit a product make sure to select your store in the “Chose Store View” dropdown
//3) Make sure that in Admin > Manage Categories your top level categories are sub categories of Root Catalog category.

Hello, hope this helps someone’s knowledge base for nuances.

I am working with: ver. 0.7.15480
I was experiencing the same issues…
I am currently working and making the adjustments to the site as i write this.

Issue #1:
A) logo link, points to invalid page with index.php/
first off with Mod Url Writes off… the logo defaulted to:  http://www.star/trivera.com/index.php/ <-- the trailing “/” caused “No Information Provided”
fix: Admin > System > Configuration > Web > “Use Web Server Rewrites” == Yes

logo then points to: http://www.star.trivera.com, all is well.

Issue #2:

B) front end not showing, and fix.
- it seems that the main site categories were not properly associating with the Catalog root (Root Catalog, for my example Eins), despite being populated.
- the Catalog Categories found an “error” when moving around main categories with active parts/items already associated with them, and were not showing in the call to the template on the homepage.

After enough troubleshooting this is what i found.
Goals: (and my order of operation)
a)Make sure configuration has a Good Category Root association,
b) Make sure all Categories under that Root Category are directy attributed to the Root Category (Parent Category == Root Category)
*do not leave blank, and drag the folders under the root Category… it does not properly associate it as the parent.
c) Make your Categories anchored and active (for the ones you want to have listed)
d) Create or Import all your Items/Parts/Widgets
Modify the personal settings of each part’s: store view and category settings making sure both have their correct settings checked (active)
e) go to your homepage, if you do not see the categories listed in the top template linked area.. clear your cache and refresh. (this worked for me)

Details:
Before you design notes:
After Step one… make sure you go into your Catalog and select All Store.."add new” and make sure that “parent” == “Root Catalog” (in my example Eins)
*add all of your categories this way… then drag and drop them accordingly while empty. (this seems only needed for the Mother Categories, not Root Category)
After you have added all your categories, add all of your widget types… then continue with steps 2/3 for Category/Product referencing…
*clear local cache* refresh your home page… main categories show up in “frontend/default/default/template/catalog/navigation/top.phtml” tag in the home page template.

1) Admin > System > Configuration > Catalog > Root Catalog == Eins
2) Admin > Catalog > Manage Products > “edit” part > Store View
make sure: YourPart to English (make sure relevant locale’s are checked off)
> Categories
make sure: Part is in relevant categories == Parts, Module>Parts, Assembly>Module>Parts for me

3) Admin > Catalog > Manage Categories >
Root == Eins(1)
Top Level 1 == Assembly(1) <-- widget assembly group part, to contain module sku(s)
Modules(4)
Parts(20)
Modules(4) <-- widget module group part, to contain part sku(s)
Parts(20)
Parts(20) <-- widget simple part, contains single part sku
*these are all black, active, anchored, and populated
-multiple Widget Parts, Modules, and Assemblies listed

Output…
homepage: http://www.star.trivera.com/
*i now have Site categories showing in the top listing of the homepage, system is functioning.

Todo:
Lack of control of shopping cart output, seeking default syntax that already exists in Magento to alter shopping cart / CMS frontend output from defaults.
-looking for/may need to create Module to Administer Cart Front-end in the Admin.
Backend modification of default Configurations / Settings. “9/15/30” aren’t enough options for desired output.
Ie: 2 across 6 down, 3 across 4 down. “12”

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageClub
Guru

Total Posts:  386
India

Hi..
1. There is so such option there.

2. Chose Stre VIew option is not there while adding or editing products.

3. Does that mean, I have done this wrong ? Please check screenshot :(
There are main categories. Do they all need to be the SUB category of the ROOT category ?

Please help…

Lior - 12 February 2008 04:15 PM

@Devis

Check also:
1) In Admin > System>Configuration > Catalog that you have “Root Catalog” selected in the “Root Category”
2) When you edit a product make sure to select your store in the “Chose Store View” dropdown
3) Make sure that in Admin > Manage Categories your top level categories are sub categories of Root Catalog category.

Image Attachments
ScreenShot00131.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community