Magento Forum

Most efficient way to migrate a new Magento store?  Feeling overwhelmed

TapwellBathroom

Total Posts:  15

A Shopify site I’m working on is being migrated to Magento.  I’ve got a long history in OOProgramming including .NET MVC, but I’m having a real hard time getting my head around the layouts/templates/blocks etc.  It seems massively convoluted in comparison to Shopify (but I’m sure it results in it being much more flexible)

So I have a functioning website on Shopify with it’s own design, what’s the best way to set this up in Magento i.e. a completely fresh project and build it from the ground up?  Or copy the default theme and amend as required?

I haven’t even begun to look at how to actually code logic yet but I’m hoping most of the functionality I need will be readily available..

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

TRMMarketing

Total Posts:  145

You are right, starting out the way Magento is put together seems overwhelming but rest assured it has a purpose and this complexity really helps establish a very robust e-commerce platform.

As for the theme, I would not recommend starting from the ground up, at the very least use the blank theme. I generally begin my processes with looking for a commercially available theme which has features I want to include. I use Theme Forest Magento Themes and locate a theme I want to use as a foundation. Really what I am looking for is not color etc, but framework. Are the product pages similar to what I want my end result to be etc. Same goes for the category pages. The homepage I generally never care much about because I always rebuild that to the specific needs of the client.

Look at the account pages etc and make sure you review a page that has the requirements for your new website. If you will be using configurable products or bundled products etc, make sure you review those product pages inside the theme.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TapwellBathroom

Total Posts:  15

TRMMarketing - 05 April 2013 05:28 AM

You are right, starting out the way Magento is put together ...

That’s very helpful and answers my questions, thanks for replying.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community