Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 6
import categories, how ? 

Lucasmus

Total Posts:  14
Netherlands

It seems not. My suggestion would be that you best use the category path (e.g. “clothing/shirts/male") as unique mapping. This way you won’t have to mess with ids.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

junomedia

Total Posts:  142
Nottingham, England

Great module, worked perfect first time.

Thanks!

Andy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

capnhud

Total Posts:  37

Riccardo Diodati - 12 November 2010 05:50 AM

Hi everyones. I’m trying to import also categories id’s. Is there a way to do this with santosh’s extension?

You do not need a category Id as long as you have everything else filled out correctly. Here is an example using the sample data:

"Name","Path","Position","Is Active","Url Key","Description","Image","Page Title","Meta Keywords","Meta Description","Include In Menu","Display Mode","CMS Block","Is Anchor","Availabe Sort By","Default Sort By","Page Layout","Custom Layout Update"
"Furniture"
,"Root Catalog","10","Yes","furniture","","furniture.jpg","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Electronics"
,"Root Catalog","13","Yes","electronics","","","","","","Yes","Static block only","electronics-landing","Yes","","","1 column",""
"Apparel"
,"Root Catalog","18","Yes","apparel","","apparel.jpg","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Household Items"
,"Root Catalog","20","No","household-items","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","No","","","No layout updates",""
"Shirts"
,"Root Catalog/Apparel","4","Yes","shirts","","shirts.jpg","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Shoes"
,"Root Catalog/Apparel","5","Yes","shoes","","shoes.jpg","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Cell Phones"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics","8","Yes","cell-phones","","","","","","Yes","Products only_AND_Static block only","cellphones-landing","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Cameras"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics","12","Yes","cameras","","camera.jpg","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Computers"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics","15","Yes","computers","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Hoodies"
,"Root Catalog/Apparel","19","Yes","hoodies","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","No","","","No layout updates",""
"Living Room"
,"Root Catalog/Furniture","22","Yes","living-room","","","","","","Yes","Products only_AND_Static block only","","No","","","No layout updates",""
"Bedroom"
,"Root Catalog/Furniture","23","Yes","bedroom","","bedroom.jpg","","","","Yes","Products only","","No","","","No layout updates",""
"Pants"
,"Root Catalog/Apparel","24","No","pants","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","No","","","No layout updates",""
"Mens"
,"Root Catalog/Apparel/Shoes","16","Yes","mens","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Womens"
,"Root Catalog/Apparel/Shoes","17","Yes","womens","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Accessories"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics/Cameras","25","Yes","accessories","Random accessories for different electronic items","","","electric, accesories, gadgets","","Yes","Products only","","No","","","No layout updates",""
"Digital Cameras"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics/Cameras","26","Yes","digital-cameras","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Build Your Own"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics/Computers","1","Yes","build-your-own","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","No","","","No layout updates",""
"Laptops"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics/Computers","2","Yes","laptops","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Hard Drives"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics/Computers","3","Yes","hard-drives","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Monitors"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics/Computers","4","Yes","monitors","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"RAM / Memory"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics/Computers","5","Yes","ram-memory","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Cases"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics/Computers","6","Yes","cases","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Processors"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics/Computers","7","Yes","processors","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""
"Peripherals"
,"Root Catalog/Electronics/Computers","8","Yes","peripherals","","","","","","Yes","Products only","","Yes","","","No layout updates",""

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jernst_

Total Posts:  4

I’m also having problems importing categories. My whole-seller divided the data-flow in multiple csv sheets. The products I can import without problems. But for categories I can\’t find an extension/solution to work with the structure of this csv file.
I’ve added a screenshot of the csv file to see the structure, it has category id, name and all subcategories for that category,
Anybody who can point me to an extension which works with these kinds of structures or has another solution?

Image Attachments
magento_categories.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

capnhud

\"Jernst_\" -

I\’m also having problems importing categories. My whole-seller divided the data-flow in multiple csv sheets. The products I can import without problems. But for categories I can\\\’t find an extension/solution to work with the structure of this csv file.
I\’ve added a screenshot of the csv file to see the structure, it has category id, name and all subcategories for that category,
Anybody who can point me to an extension which works with these kinds of structures or has another solution?

This extension works, it would have problems with your csv if one your are not using firefox or chrome and it appears that your csv is improperly formatted. I have attached a category csv so that your can see how exactly it needs to be formatted. Pay more attention to the header columns. And if you are using MS Excel see my post here to make sure that it is formatted correctly.( Instead of following that post just use ASAP utilites instead and it will format the csv correctly for you. Export>Worksheet as file>CSV)

For some reason the attachment is not working. So all you have to do is copy everything in my previous post and paste in to a text file and save it as a csv UTF-8 encoding and open in your spreadsheet application.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dx3webs

Total Posts:  178

after installing this i could no longer access admin panel

del var/cache /session

no luck just blank screen

Magento Community
Magento Community

capnhud

Dx3webs - 03 December 2010 01:52 AM

after installing this i could no longer access admin panel

del var/cache /session

no luck just blank screen

I used this on magento 1.4.1.1 and it installed correctly. The only problem I was experiencing was when I tried to import it did not work in Opera, but once I used firefox my categories imported just fine. When you say that you get a blank admin screen which browser are your using? And did you check the permissions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dx3webs

I used the instructions here to manually create this extension

worked a treat

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/39714/

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

capnhud

Does that manually created one allow you to also export categories?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dx3webs

no :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

capnhud

the reason I asked is because this importer will allow you to export the categories also.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sepp

Total Posts:  120
Hamburg

it works for me in 1.4.2.0 absolutely correct
Super work
Many many thanks to santhosh kumar

regards
Sepp

Magento Community
Magento Community

joharabroune

Total Posts:  6

Category Import Wizard you ProductCart store run to import the category information, you potentially hundreds of categories to add steps to store your database, allows some easy. To be able to quickly import categories, sub categories, and many supported by ProductCart a specific class locations at all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kunzi

Total Posts:  44

Could this extension somehow be edited to also export/import the “Custom Design” and “Use Parent Category Settings” of categories? Currently extension only supports importing/exporting Custom Layout and Page Layout.

I have tons of categories and I need to use custom design for a big part of them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lyonscg

Total Posts:  173
Chicago IL

For anyone looking to include category id’s with the import/export CSV files....

Open
local/Santhosh/Core/Helper/Category.php

and add the following code snippet to the array filters. Anywhere in the list is fine. I personally just went to line 35 and added it below the last filter.

$data[] = array ('field' => 'entity_id''label' => 'entity_id');

That’s it. Run your export and the category id’s are now there. Run an import and it should work. I have not tested this with existing categories that have the same id. I don’t know if it will error out or replace the existing category so BE CAREFUL. When I get some time to test this further I’ll update the post.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 6