Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Computer Configurator like Dell’s

Da-McMillion

Total Posts:  1

Hello Guys,

as you can see i’m new to this board and to magento as well.
I want to set up a webshop containing a builder/configurator, like the configurator/builder on dell.com. So I found a case study, with the information, that there is no build-in configurator in magento, but it is possible to write some own code to get nearly the same possibility. Is this allready right?

Well, now I want to ask you - the proper users - is it possible to set up a webshop like dell.com, which is able to check the user configuration for errors or misconfigurations (so called plausibility check)?

Also: is this possible for me, who has never seen magento’s backend before? Me and my friends studing information technologies and we want to set up the configurator by ourself.

I would be happy, to hearing from you.

Regards
McMillion

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

netresearch
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Leipzig

It is of cause possible, nearly everything what you see on the world of webshops is possible in mage.
But you have to have advanced skills in magento, to roll such a project. So its a question of “how” not of “whether”
I think the magento-team is already working on such a feature but i’m not quite shure.

My proposal: get familiar with the structure of Magento and try to develop a few small modules. I you have skills enought you can try such a large module.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

See demo store computer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

Something like the Gaming Computer example is available out of the box with Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fire

Total Posts:  3

That is a bundle and not a configurator/ product builder.  Product builder has compliance capability between the selection items. (Like AMD board compatible with AMD microprocessor etc)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community